Chapter 99: Greater Than an Empire

"There are things in life that we can't control, paths that we can not recreate. The sinking feeling that we get from when a friend fades from the spotlight and is off to better tomorrows. They take their final bow and move on...and where does that leave you? Do you fight to try and save them or let them fade into the darkness? Drake I must say that you are the first I have met who has refused to let their friend fade into nothingness..." the White Stag's voice echoed in Drake's head as the Forrest had become dark and misty, he couldn't remember stuff well now. How long had he been here? Where was the camp? Why was he still here? "Heh, I think you've been here long enough Drake...we can continue another time." Drake felt like the ground under him disappeared into nothing and he fell. He fell, he was falling... Then he stopped.

"Uh so what-"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drake felt a cold splash hit his face, he gasped and jolted sitting up. He took a second to catch his breath, that's when his eyes met a pair of Cornflower blue. He backed up and panicked, what was a nightmare doing here. The nightmare was the one who had splashed Drake with water as if trying to wake him from a bad dream. The creature stayed still and didn't approach him. It made a soft chirp at him, as if asking if he was okay. "Yeah I'm okay, th-thanks...guess I was sleepwalking." Drake perked up hearing footsteps from behind him. A figure stood in front of him and the nightmare backed away now in fear. "Drake, stay behind me." it was Grayson with his sword drawn ready to kill the nightmare if needed. Mya checked on Drake to make sure he was okay.
The nightmare tried to help, to get closer, only to get stopped by Grayson.
"Stay away from him.."
"You don't understand."
The nightmare got closer holding something close to it's chest.
"I said stay away, this is your last chance."
"He doesn't understand, make him see."
Grayson raised his sword a bit, ready to defend his friends...when the nightmare held the object out to him. Grayson froze and looked at him, the nightmare not getting closer...but a familiar feeling washed over Grayson. The need to protect, to help, and to hold the nightmare... As if it was human... Aren't all nightmares human at some point?

Grayson put his sword away and looked at the nightmare who chirped and whined. Grayson walked to it trying his best to be not threatening, gently getting down to his knees and gently taking the cornflower that the nightmare gave to him willing with tears in the corners of both of their eyes and holding it close. Grayson felt like a hole that had been patched up had been cut through again. He looked at the black specter and cupped his cheek. "P-Parker?" he asked, in disbelief. The nightmare nodded and smiled before hugging Grayson and holding on to him, Grayson doing the same and crying softly...
______________________

Even in death, the bond between Father and Son is greater than the hate and greed of an Empire.