Chapter 86: Double the Trouble

Markus was on another mission again, this one... a bit more blunt.

Burn down the Rebellion till the wind carries its ashes to the darkest corners of the past.

Of course, first, they had to find the Rebellion's location. And to do that... they had Folly.

The brightly dressed Jester skipped up to Markus giving him quite the startle. "Hello Markus, some nice spring weather we have."

Markus relaxed a bit, "Speak of the Devil..."

"Awww I'm flattered~ but I just popped by to make sure you were aware we are stopping for tonight." Folly grinned as he snapped his fingers and disappeared.

"Creep..." Markus muttered as Haus huffed a bit as he sat down wagging his tail. Haus was a sheep dog that Markus had called his friend as long as he could remember. The dog was sweet and gentle despite his size. To put it blankly, Haus was basically Markus's service dog... and it was thanks to Haus that Markus was still alive... but that story is for another time.

Disappearing... not teleporting...

Just one of Folly's many tricks...after all, Folly was a demon.

But it wasn't Folly, that Markus was afraid of...rather the secret he knew about Markus's Betrayal.

—————————————————

Two Weeks Prior
——————

The Empire's Capital...Emerald City... it was a lovely place, to say the least. It's people in good wealth, the homes were grand and the land was fair with the richest display of flowers. But we all know that just because a book has a pretty cover, doesn't mean the words within are well written.

The sound of little golden bells, like little stars twinkling, jangled a bit as the two figures giggled among themselves. These two voices were ones Markus knew all too well, The Jesters...two twin demons who had made deals with Ferox in the past...and most likely were there to make another

"My, my... is that Markquavius Weller? You've grown quite the bit ya little dagger." One of the figures smile. The figure was dressed in black and red, his skin a pale gray and his face covered in what one might think was red and blue paint was actually blood, as another figure that dressed the complete opposite peeked behind him. "I do say, He has got a bit taller... and a lot more...heh... secretive." The brothers were known for reading minds...and Markus didn't want them reading his...

Why you may ask? Cause he turned against the Empire...He was now the traitor.

In Markus's eyes, the only reason Jasper managed to escape was because of him. An act of Mutiny that was worth more than any gold in the empire... the only payment for it... would have been Markus's life.

Markus him let him go...but why? Markus didn't know...but it might have been because he had slowly started to build back a moral compass.

Markus had helped drag Jasper out of his cell after others had deemed him dead...but because Markus was gaining feeling back... he could feel even the slightest pulse...

Markus could have ratted Jasper out and killed him right there...but he didn't

and now with this secret of treason on his shoulders... he has to tread lightly...especially around the Jester Brothers.

"Why are you two back again?" Markus asked sharply, trying to avoid the focus from himself.

"Well you see... that Elusive traitor that they call the highest demon in Hell... seems to have vanished from Ferox's ear... Thus he has asked us to locate the Rebellion." Folly smiled, he's red stained cheeks holding that wicked look for all of his days, yet this smile was something he had pride in.

"And we should go swiftly, else the Empire turn to dust once more." Jollie giggled as he spun around on his heel and walked towards the exit, his blue and black tail coats curling up as he walked with a pip in his step.

Folly looked back at Markus and grinned, "Later Traitor ~" his eyes glowed their unusual red before he followed his brother and Markus stood there speechless and disturbed.
————————————

Markus glared at the fire as his eyes grew heavy, Haus rested his head on Markus's lap and licked his hand which was still covered in scars from his many attempts to feel something in the past. Markus petted the dog softly, "I'm alright Haus... just tired..."

But with The Jester Brothers back... Markus didn't just have Folly to worry his mind...

He had double the trouble now.