Chapter 106: Magic and Mistakes

There are many different types of magic–natural magic, practical magic, high magic, ceremonial magic–and each is a little bit varied from the others. Even when it comes to spell-work, you'll find a number of opinions on the Hows and Whys of the process. In natural magic, there is a theory that many natural objects–rocks, roots, plants, animal bones, etc.–have a connection within them to some part of the human experience. For example, rose quartz is linked with love and matters of the heart, a piece of oak would take on the attributes of strength and sturdiness, and a sprig of sage is connected to wisdom and purification. In this form of magic, also called sympathetic magic, the link between items and their magical symbolism is referred to as the Doctrine of Signatures or Scrolls. Spellwork in natural magic is often carried out with no prayer or invocation to deities or gods. It is simply the natural attributes of the items involved in the spell that make the magic happen.

Magic is the realm of the Divine. A link between the mortal and the deity they sever, A practitioner may call upon their gods for intervention and assistance. For example, someone doing a spell working to repair their damaged love life might call upon Aphrodite for aid. A person moving into a new home could invoke Brighid or Freyja, goddesses of hearth and home, as part of a ritual.

These are the rules of Magic and thus anyone who is born with any power or gift shall obey these laws. These laws are natural and good, retaining balance in the world and in the mage's mind, soul, and heart.

But what if that mage is missing half their soul?
__________________________________________________

"Psst, hey...Drake...wake up idiot."

Drake rolled out of his blanket and sat up, the ambers of the campfire were the only source of light, and the rain had stopped.
"Ugh what do you want? probably nothing good."

"Wow you know me like the back of my hand, no I wanna go on a walk."

"A walk?" Drake asked as he was a little off put by the request.

"Yeah, get your lazy butt up and go walk..."

"Why should I? You could be just trying to take over and do who knows what."

"If I wanted to do that, I'd do that while you were asleep."

Drake froze up, he had a point..."Alright, Where ya wanna go."

"Just a few yards north...I like it out in the woods at night."

"For a demon, I didn't think you'd like stuff like this."

"I'm just full of surpises aren't I? Heh." He seemed to have an underlying tone, sorrow? Regret?

"Yeah....surpirises... You know, Ever since Armen died...You've become more...moral?" Drake was right, the voice in his head was becoming less and less aggressive and had less of a evil intent.

"Pfft, Moral is one way to put it...You never got to see this side of me cause most of me was attached to Armen."

"Why did you never wanted to leave Armen's vessel anyways?"

"If I left that vessel I'd be condemed to a hell that no one in this world could ever imagine."

"Huh so Demons dont go to hell when their vessels are destroyed?"

"Oh they do, But I don't"

"So wait...are you...not a demon? Drake asked as he walked under the trees.

"Tell me Drake, if a being with the same powers as me was to come to this world...and instead of destroying and reshaping the world they created new life and made everything sunshine and rainbows... what would the people of this world believe them to be?"

"Well, definitely not a Demon...what are you getting at?"

"Everyone has their views on good and evil, Drake. A god to one person is the devil to another...you have to look at every angle before you place your judgment. Heh, gods kill... gods create...and yet you can worship them or fear them and hide."

Drake pondered for a moment about it all. "Wait are you claiming to be this world's god?"

"Used to be, sorta still am... but yeah. What? Shocked? Figured that much heh. How else do you think I could have taken you, Armen, and Blondie to this time and place in the world? I'm just a little kid playing with a dollhouse Drake... yes people might get hurt and yes they might even die...but to me, I can replace them...make them better... I hate most of my creations...I hate the ones I see myself in the most." The voice sighed and seemed to loosen its tone to a more gentle and relaxed mood. "I think that's why I want to destroy this world and you all... I am reminded of my failures and reminded of who I am. I Build and destroy and repeat the cycle, never satisfied. I feel that need, to be satisfy... not just myself but others, but then I feel like I've disappointed them all when I don't get a reaction I'm looking for."

Drake was a little dumbfounded but stayed quiet and listened.

"Oh well, now I barely have a handle on this story anymore and it will remain on the selves for the rest of time."

"So if you you aren't over this world anymore, then how did you loose control of it?"

"Because sometimes when you create a space of your own to have freedom... someone comes in and steals that control and freedom away... until there is nothing left."

"Would you take control back if you could?"

"I don't think I deserve control... this world is a garden over run with weeds, I have given into that chaos and will soon be decomposed by whatever takes me."

"I don't deserve to have a happy ending."