59 | mr necrophiliac

Start from the beginning

"I tried." Freya forced an unconvincing smile for Beth, "but I'm not like you. I'm a killer, and I accept things 'cause I don't think what's left is worth saving. World fell apart, I fell with it but you're still standing. You are the tough one."

"You're not a killer-"

"You've literally seen me with two dead bodies and a bloody sword at my side each time."

Beth sighed heavily. "That's not what I meant. You killed 'cause you had to and that's different. You're not a killer, you're a fighter and you know it. You don't want to take lives, it's not somethin' you think about when you wake up or somethin' you enjoy it's just how you survive. There's no evil in your heart."

'There's no malice in your heart.' That was one of the last exchanges Freya had ever heard from her mother to her father. Lori Grimes had been a beacon of goodness, just like Beth was and that scared Freya more than anything. She hadn't made Beth feel the way her mother had, had she? Had her nonchalance made Beth cry herself to sleep? Was the bitterness inside eating her up the same way it had eaten at her father? "I don't deserve you."

Beth rolled her eyes. "That's stupid- not a good look on you."

Freya brought Beth's hand to her lips, pressing a kiss to her knuckle. "I am grateful, you know? For Daryl too. I wouldn't... well, I'd be dead if I didn't have you two and then your dad would come zooming down to hell to kick my ass for breaking our promise to him."

Beth chuckled softly. "Sounds like daddy. I'm glad he pushed you to talk, it's like he knew we'd need each other."

"He was the wisest man I ever knew," Freya kissed Beth's hand once more. "I'm so sorry you lost him like that- seeing it. I was so caught up with..." her sister's name felt like a blade lodged in her throat, "what I lost. I didn't even think about you."

"You're thinkin' now." Beth stood slowly, pulling Freya up with her. Their foreheads pressed together, it had become an instinctive movement every time they were in close proximity to one another. "That's what matters."

"I do see goodness." Freya brought her injured hand up to brush over Beth's face, relishing the feeling of her soft skin. "In you," their lips brushed together momentarily- short but still sweet, "but that's it. I wish it was different."

Beth's hand overlapped Freya's, holding it against her face. "It'll take some time, but Freya we have time. That's about all we do have right now."

"Time and Daryl Dixon," Freya stated, a brisk chuckle following her words. "Speaking of, where is he?"

"Oh, he's in a coffin," Beth informed her, spluttering with laughter at the confused frown Freya wore. "Alive- he says it's comfy."

Freya scoffed, shaking her head. She reached for the photograph on the table, tucking it back into her pocket. "Of course he does. Do we have a coffin?"

"I found a couch for us," Beth revealed, pulling back from Freya. She kept her grip on her girlfriend's hand, pulling her down the hallway. "Couches are kind of our thing, huh?"

"Sure." Freya's voice was thick with sarcasm, "lost our virginities on one, probably gonna be killed on one and later stuffed and put out on display."