20

"I will not approve! That's final." My mother scolds Jake. She stand so close to his face that I'm surprised she hasn't spit on him yet. He just sits with one arm propped up on the chair with me next to him.

"My title is Olo'eyktan, regardless I can overrule it. I didn't come here to ask for your approval. I asked for your blessing. There's a difference." Jake tells her "You can be happy for us but that's up to you."

"You think you can just drain her..."

Jake just slumps down as my mom begins her tyranny.
"Yurka stop....I didn't come here for you to tell me the same story for the billionth time. I get it. You don't like me"

"You are the reason.." she starts but all I see is her digging her nails into his forehead.

"Mom." I speak up attempting to move her hand but she took that as anger and raises her other hand to try to slap me. Jake just moves his arm in between to take the hit.

"as her mother I respect you but not enough to allow you to strike my wife in front of me." Jake says "I won't tolerate this type of treatment."

"You are making a mistake!" She turns to me "If you marry him then don't even see me as a mother anymore."

——————

"Are you ok?" Jake asks plopping down behind me and wrapping his arms around my shoulders. He drops his head on top of mine as we both look out toward the cliff.

"I just don't understand. She is the only parent I have left and I just wish..." I stopped talking and just exhale. He moves his head from the top to my shoulders.

I just want her to be a mother. We always had a weird relationship growing up but when my father passed it seemed she have gone off the rails.

There are very rare times where Jake is left not knowing what to say to solve anything and today is one of them. He won't ask me to choose between my own mom or him. I wouldn't want him to either.

He hugs me a bit tighter in hopes that this embrace will be enough to solve it.

"We can hold off until she comes around" Jake suggests sacrificing his own feelings for the greater good, knowing I wouldn't ask that of
him.

"No" I sighed lifting my head to look his way. "I don't want to wait for her to come around to be happy"

Jake begins to grin "Look at you knowing what you want now. My baby bird flying out of the nest for the first time. Little Yayo"

"Shut up" I say as he teases me with my old nickname. But honestly I do feel Jake has helped me trust my own choices more. He just chuckles leaning me back and pulling me into a kiss.

His hands begins to wander and I immediately had to stop him. "Did you forget? I have to go see Mo'at for fitting. I don't want any hickies, bites or bruises."

"What if I can hide them? I don't think she'll look in between your legs" Jake mumbles into my ear trying to separate my knees. "Promise I'll be nice and gentle"

"No. I literally have to go now"

"I need something now too"

"Jake!" I retorted and he just sighs

"Fine but you owe me a good honeymoon"