23

KXILYÄ

' Can you atleast give me something to cover myself? ' Kxilyä stood, as Quaritch nodded. The door opened, as a human scientist handed Quaritch an over-sized shirt, and he threw it at Kxilyä. ' Why'd you even take it, anyways? '

Kxilyä slipped the shirt over her head awkwardly.

' The metal on whatever it is you call that you wear reacted with the tracker we put in you. To keep you alive, we took it off. Someone was supposed to change you, but I guess no one ever got to it. ' Quaritch explained.

' Wait, pause, ' She narrowed her eyes, ' you put a tracker in me. '

Quaritch nodded. ' In your arm. That way you can't run away. We did the same for Spider, but put it in his mask. So keep that in mind next time you're thinking about an escape plan. ' He chuckled, turning to the door.

Kxilyä inspected her arms, turning them, hoping to find something. Faintly, in the middle of her forearm, she saw something red beep.

Air hissed into the room as he opened the door, gaining her attention. ' Don't try anything. ' he gave a final warning, looking between Kxilyä and Spider, before he closed the door, and his footsteps faded away.

Kxilyä sighed, knocking her head against the wall. She peered to the floor, hoping that he'd have forgotten about the comms.

He did not.

They were missing from where she threw them, and she regretted not hiding them and hoping that Quaritch would forget about them. That way, she could update the family.

Whatever. It was too late now to turn around, so she'd just have to make do.

' So what's up with you and Lo'ak not being together anymore? ' Spider called from across the room.

She glared through her eyebrows, her expression deadpan. ' None of your business. '

He went silent for a couple seconds. ' Why do you hate me so much? '

' Because.. ' She started, but she couldn't find any words. The worst part is was that she had no genuine reason to dislike Spider. ' I don't know. ' she answered honestly.

' Right. ' He elongated the word, letting out a breathy laugh. ' So can we just stop whatever awkwardness there is? I mean, I'd like to be your friend. '

She looked to the ground, before back at Spider. ' Fine. Fine, I'll try to stop hating you. No promises though. '

Spider smiled. ' So no more shattering my mask that is necessary for my survival? '

' ...I can't promise that either. ' Kxilyä looked Spider up and down. ' You look awful. '

' Tends to happen when you've been tortured and attempted to be manipulated to get information. ' Spider scoffed, his arms crossing on his chest. ' By the way, your english is really bad. '

' Oh. ' was all Kxilyä could say. How would she even respond to that?

Silence filled the room.

' So.. why did you and Lo'ak break up? ' He asked finally.

Kxilyä took in a deep breath. She didn't want to talk about it, but Spider deserved an explanation.

' He cheated on me. ' She said simply, looking towards the ground.

' Really? With who? ' Spider tilted his head as he asked, his voice softening.

' Tsireya. '

' Who? ' Spider narrowed his eyes.

' A metkayina girl. You don't know her. We met her before you were captured. Has it really been a month since you've been captured? ' Kxilyä changed the conversation, no longer wanting to talk about her relationship.

' Yeah. ' he sighed, ' I'm kind of mad no one even tried to come save me. '

' Kiri wanted to. She hasn't stopped asking about you. But no one else was willing to take the risk. ' Kxilyä explained, looking back up at him.

His face lit up. ' How is Kiri? Is she okay? '

' Yeah. She's really liking the metkayina village. Shes a natural with learning their ways. '

' Of course she is, ' Spider let out a laugh, ' I'm not surprised by that. '

Kxilyä smiled. ' I dont think anyone was. Uh, do you know what time it is? '

Spider pointed to a small piece of metal that was on the wall. She stood, walking up to it, as she noticed that this was the sound that awful ticking noise was coming from.

She tapped her finger on the glass, watching as it ticked. ' What is this? '

' A clock. ' Spider walked up, ' So right now, it's 10:30. '

' What does that mean? ' Kxilyä furrowed her eyebrows.

' It's nighttime. Around two hours from midnight. ' Spider explained, ' You seriously don't know how a clock works? '

' No. That's weird. ' She cringed, ' And it's really annoying. '

' I think that's why they put it in here. ' Spider mumbled.

Kxilyä stared at the clock, tilting her head as she watched it move. Suddenly, she swung her arm, shattering the glass. She reached a hand inside, stopping the ticking.

Kxilyä turned to Spider, smiling. Spider stared.

' What the fuck? ' he spoke as his eyes widened.

' Problem solved! ' She spoke gleefully, as she inspected her hand. Blood streamed down her wrist from the cuts the glass had given her.

' ...You scare me. ' Spider called while Kxilyä walked over to the bench in the middle of the room, sitting down.

' Good. You should be scared. ' She smiled sarcastically, resting her bloody hand on her thigh. She stared at the camera in the left corner, smiling at it.

Spider let out a breathy laugh.