07

Gunshots scattered into the walls around her, as her people's screams filled the room. Fire scorched the sides of the building, planks falling onto the ground as one had hit her father who tried to save his family.

Her father let out a cry as the hot plank hit his back, leaving a black scorch mark engraved in his back. He groaned in pain, as young Kxilyä cried in the corner.

' Mama! ' She cried, blood staining her hands as she pressed on her wound. ' Wake up, please! '

Tears filled her eyes as the smoke attacked her lungs, making her cough violently. Fire spread around her in a circle, as she wailed beside her dying mother.

' Go, Kxilyä, run! ' Her mother managed, as Kxilyä let out a cry. Blood pooled in her hands, as her mother spat blood out of her mouth. Slowly, her eyes went lifeless.

' No, please! Wake up! '

She woke with a start, as her hammock retracted when she shot up. She gasped for air while she looked at her shaky hands, to find no blood. She could feel it, however, the slimy texture on her hands would never leave her mind, even 13 years later.

Air gasped into her lungs, as she curled her legs into her arms, her mind vivid with the memory. The trauma had still affected her even now.

' What's wrong? ' Neteyam called, jumping onto the branch as he sat down on it, just overtop.

She simply watched her hands as flashes played back in her mind. She shook violently, not sure how to respond.

' .. I'll get Lo'ak. ' He whispered, but that had seemed to snap her back into reality.

' No! ' She cried, standing up in her hammock. ' He already has to deal with enough of me. I don't want to worry him more. I'm fine. '

' I'm sure he doesn't mind, he- ' Neteyam started, but Kxilyä pulled herself up onto the branch.

' We already have enough to worry about with the sky people coming. He doesn't need to add on more just because of my dumb nightmares. ' She grumbled as she walked past Neteyam.

' But they aren't just stupid nightmares, Kxi. It is trauma. And that is real. ' Neteyam stopped her by gripping her shoulder, as Kxilyä lashed her tail behind her in response. ' I think Lo'ak would care more if we didn't tell him. '

' Do not tell him. ' She turned, pointing a finger at his chest. ' Do so and I will break all of your limbs. '

He raised his hands in defeat, backing off slightly. She leaned her head back, her eyes skeptical, but she walked along the branch, sighing heavily when she landed on the platform.

She noticed that Jake was watching the sky, the new star still visible but much larger. Neytiri was talking to Tuk about the sky people. Kiri and Lo'ak were lost in conversation im guessing about the sky people aswell.

Neteyam followed shortly after, giving Lo'ak a knowing stare as Lo'ak furrowed his brows, walking over. ' What happened? ' Lo'ak asked.

Neteyam opened his mouth to speak, but Kxilyä simply smacked him with her tail. ' Nothing. ' She scowled, side-eyeing Neteyam.

Lo'ak grimaced, a flow of jealously coursing through him. He had thought something else could have happened.

' What really happened? ' He spoke in a more demanding tone, a hint of anger as-well as he stared at Neteyam.

She stepped in front of him. ' Nothing happened Lo'ak. It's fine. '

' Don't lie to me. ' He scoffed, ' There's no point in trying to lie to me. '