16

IT HAD TAKEN eight hours to reach Awa'atlu, the Metkayina village. Kxilyä was exhausted beyond measures, her mind overwhelmed by her regret to leave home. When they landed, she jumped down onto the soft sand, and it gave her some comfort.

Despite it not being the forest, Kxilyä always enjoyed whatever land she was in. The village was beautiful, and so was the people in it. They had green-ish blue skin, instead of the Ometicaya's sky blue skin. Their tails, arms, and legs looked stronger. They were made for swimming, so it was no doubt.

They looked weak compared to the Metkayina. The group was surrounded by the Metkayina immediately, as they inspected every part of the group.

Her hand was grasped in Lo'aks, as her eyes scanned the clearing. She felt uncomfortable under the multiple Metkayina's stare.

She played with her hair, her fingers running along her hair wraps. She had done them a couple days ago.

Within minutes, Tonowari, the Olo'eyktan of the Metkayina clan arrived, along with the Tsahik, Ronal. They rode skin wings. She had remembered what the different kinds of creatures they rode were called.

As they flew over the crowd, landing infront of them, she raised her hand to her forehead and gestured it to the couple, as a polite greeting. She looked to Neteyam and Lo'ak, who stared at the couple.

Kxilyä jabbed Lo'ak in the ribs, aswell as Neteyam, widening her eyes. They caught on immediately, gesturing the same way.

One of the Metkayina boys tugged at Neteyam's tail, snickering. The other made a remark on Neteyam's skin, laughing at his reaction.

Her eyes trailed back to the water, as a girl stepped up onto the land. She frisked her hair out of her face, her ocean-blue eyes landing on mine. She walked up, her gaze turning cold as it landing on the two boys picking at Neteyam.

She slapped the taller boys arm away. ' Aonung! ' She scolded, ' Roxto! Do not. '

The taller boy, Aonung she was assuming, smile dropped into a frown. Roxto went silent. The girl studied the group, staring at Lo'ak in particular as she stared him up and down. Kxilyä's eyebrows furrowed, her hand gripping Lo'aks tighter.

Lo'ak gave Kxilyä a confused look, but she only stayed staring at the girl. His gaze followed hers, landing on the girl as well.

The girl was beautiful. Her soft curls was swift against her shoulders, and her features were soft, unlike Kxilyä's sharp and course features. She smiled, her lips curling as her dimples stuck out. She wore traditional Metkayina clothing, but with additional seashells.

Kxilyä couldn't help but feel jealous of her beauty.

The Metkayina returned the gesture towards the trio, turning towards Jake. ' Jake Sully. ' He spoke, his voice stern, ' Why do you come here? '

' We seek refuge. ' He spoke plainly, ' A safe haven for me and my family. '

' Refuge? ' Ronal scowled disbelievingly, as she stepped forward.

' Yes. ' Jake nodded.

' But you are in war. We do not wish to become part of it. ' Tonowari squeezed Ronal's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down. She hissed at him, and he immediately placed his hand to his side. Kxilyä suppressed a smile.

' Look, I'm done my war. Okay? I just want my family to be safe. ' He pleaded.

' Your skills will mean nothing here. We are reef people, and you are forest people. ' Ronal countered.

' We can learn. We can adapt, right guys? ' He turned towards the family. Kxilyä reluctantly nodded. Ronal stepped up, inspecting the group. She whisked Kiri's tail in her hands, cringing. Kiri snatched her tail into her hands, her ears pinned down.