20. Sweet Talker

'The Step stones were meant to be won for the realm, but over the past few days, it seems we have traded a crabfeeder for a sea snake. This is clearly a rebuke for passing over Lady Laena for Queen Alicent.' Tyland Lannister remarked as the council listened intently.

'Years have passed since the business with his daughter. Certainly, he cannot still be wrathful?' Viserys pondered

'The Sea Snake is an over-proud man, to be sure, Your Grace. That pride has been injured. Perhaps we can salve the wound?'

'I fear Lord Corlys's pride is the least of our worries. I don't wish to cause you further distress, Your Grace, but my brother has sent disturbing word from Old town. Lord Corlys is said to have engaged in negotiations with the Sea lord of Braavos. He plans to wed his daughter Laena to the Sealord's son. If House Velaryon entered into an alliance with the Free Cities... then... we would have to seek our own marriage pact.' All eyes turned to Rhaenyra.

+

"She wants something I dont know what she wants!" Alicent declared through an exasperated breath.

"Let me take her. Maybe some fresh air will be good." Aislynn offered. 

"Thank you Lynnie."

"Get some rest." Aislynn assured. "I got her." 

'Good night, Ser Criston.' Rhaenyra said as she retired for the night, she heard the cries of Alicent's new daughter, her screams echoed, before her babbles bounced down the hall.

'Sleep well, Princess.' She closed the door only to see a bag in her room, she dumped out the contents and it revealed dirty clothes, rags really and a scroll. She opened it up and it wasn't a note but a map. She looked at the wall paneling. She pushed the bench away and a hidden passageway opened up she stumbled in.

' Whoa!' she said breathlessly as she looked down at the staircase. She changed into the clothes following the passageway she wasn't surprised to see Daemon waiting for her. he grabbed her hand leading her down the steps.

'Where are we going?' she questioned as they wandered through the streets, Rhaenyra had never been out after dark, not like this. She was surprised and amazed at everything and everyone. She got to be no one.

"Lady Aislynn." Criston remarked fondly. 

"Hello Ser Criston." Aislynn coed. 

"I was gone a few moons and you already have a child, what a lucky man Ser Harwin is." Criston teased and Aislynn couldnt hide her blush. 

"He is lucky." Aislynn agreed. "But this is Alicent's little girl Helaena."

"Ah, yes the silver hair, I must have missed it, distracted by you." Criston remarked and Aislynn swore her heart skipped a beat. 

"Sweet talker you are Criston." Aislynn said her lip caught between her teeth. He stared back at her a long moment and she knew she should continue on her way, she was engaged, she was to be married soon enough but there was something about how Criston looked at her that she didnt think Harwin did. 

But maybe she was imagining things, Harwin had put up with her brothers, paid their probably very large bill at the Garrison and he still seemed to want her. But Criston smiling back at her, there was something dangerous in that gaze, knowing that he wasnt the man she would wed but Helaena babbled up at her and Aislynn was pulled back to reality. 

"Goodnight Ser Criston." Aislynn said as she headed on her way. 

"Goodnight my lady." Criston agreed as his gaze followed her.