18. Pride Not Prize

Start from the beginning

Since Helaena's birth Aislynn had gotten baby fever again and knowing she would be marrying Harwin so soon she couldnt wait to bed him. She wanted a child to grow in her womb and love completely, a part of her. 

"What are you thinking about?" Harwin questioned kissing her temple she smiled up at him. 

"Our future children." Aislynn admitted. 

"Children already?" Harwin mused. "How many do you want?" 

"Lots." Aislynn admitted. "I might change my mind once i push the first one out but I grew up with a house full of boys and me and my sister. We were always together, they are my closest friends. I want all the children, the big happy family." Aislynn remarked. "What about you?" 

"A want a few sons I suppose." Harwin remarked. "I never really thought about it before us." 

"Well then I take that as a compliment." Aislynn agreed. "I want a little girl. I know men want true heirs but I want a girl... two or three, but I want them to have an elder brother to look out for them..."

"Arthur is your eldest." 

"Yes... well Gwayne is the eldest." Aislynn corrected. "But he spends more time traveling at tourneys than us so hes more like a distant uncle at times." Aislynn remarked. "Are you close with Larys?" 

"No." Harwin answered. 

"He seems an interesting man." Aislynn remarked. 

"He's a... he keeps to himself." Harwin offered. "I'm excited to marry you and get started on those kids you want." he added as Aislynn smiled back at him. 

+

'We should make landfall inside the hour, Princess.' Criston told Rhaenyra as they sailed

'How do you think he will take it?' Rhaenyra questioned looking out at the castle in the distance.

'Do you speak of how you rejected every suitor His Grace put before you, or how you abruptly ended the tour with two months remaining?' Criston mused but a dragon shrieking and rumbling caught their attention. Caraxes flew overhead, rocking the ship.

'Take cover!'

'Princess! You all right? Are you? Fetch the maester!' Criston declared as he helped Rhaenyra up she clutched at her head as she stared at Caraxes.

'I'm fine.' She assured watching Caraxes land. The true man of her dreams was back at the capital.

+

The throne room was filled, whispered voices echoed Daemon's name. Viserys stood ready to reprimand his brother.

"He's going to be an idiot and forgive him." Aislynn whispered. 

"Hush." Otto begged. 

"He is. Because thats what men are. Idiotic." Aislynn added, Otto grumbled looking to her. "I'm sorry did you want me to lie?" 

"Aislynn my dear, I love you but you make me want to bash my head into the wall." Otto informed her. 

"You should have done that before you tricked the king into marrying Alicent." Aislynn remarked. 

"Are you ever going to let that go?" Otto countered aggressively. 

Daemon walked forward with confidence though, the kings guard unsheathed their swords ready to attack, to protect their king. A crown on Daemon's head he threw down his sword before them.

"Never. because Ali, my sweet little Ali's life is ruined because you wanted power." Aislynn hissed. 

"Aislynn." Otto begged. 

'Add it to the chair.' Daemon offered it clattered before Viserys as the crowd murmured with anticipation.

'You wear a crown.' Viserys noted. 'Do you also call yourself "King"?' he sneered

'Once we smashed the Triarchy, they named me "King of the Narrow Sea." Daemon informed him and the crowd murmured again, Daemon was no king. Everyone knew of his reputation. 'But I know that there is only one true king, Your Grace.' Daemon assured. 'My crown and the Step stones... are yours.'

"How generous, Viserys is going to open his arms and say brother welcome back, let me turn around so you can stab me in the back tomorrow." Aislynn muttered. 

"Please stop." Otto begged. 

'Well, where is Lord Corlys?' Viserys questioned hesitantly, Daemon was not one to bend the knee willingly.

'He sailed home to Driftmark.' Daemon told him

'Who holds the Step stones?' Viserys countered

'The tides... the crabs, and 2,000 dead Triarchy corsairs, staked to the sand to warn those who might follow.' Daemon informed him. Viserys got closer to him and the crowd held its breath.

"Wait for it, I'm right and I should have put money on it." Aislynn muttered. 

'Rise.' Viserys said hugging Daemon as he rose and the crowd applauded, there would not be war, but peace. 'The realm owes you a great debt, brother. Come. This is our chance...'

"You get the pride of knowing you were right not a prize." Otto remarked as he headed out. 

"I prefer prizes but what good is pride if I can't boast about it?" Aislynn called after him.