Thirty- Seven

Neteyam never left Ni'awtus cold side that entire night. It felt like he couldnt. Like a huge heavy restriction stood over him.

He sat, overthinking and barely thinking at the same time, as his family fought and struggled the entire time. But they all lived. It was going to be okay now.

When they came back to the island, they finally were able to mourn. 

Neteyam was just cold and numb to everyone. He couldnt bare feeling anything.

Especially being at the places he once was with her, it was hard.

Eventually he knew it would have to change, but for now it was the only thing he allowed. 

Tuk cried, but then she tried to comfort everyone in the best way she could. Everyone lost so much over the night. 

All of them lost her.

Their future clan leader, their best friend, the smart, witty, strong girl they called Nia. 

The family took Ni'awtu home, where they left her with her own family. However, Neteyam wouldnt leave her side. No matter what. 

Both Tonowari and Ronal tried their hardest to get him to leave, but none of them could manage. Especially with their other kids defending him. 

There were only slight times when he would. When he had to. 

No one knew about Ni'awtu and Neteyam, and they did now. Everyone talked about it. Neteyam didnt even notice or care about the shame. 

He was only happy that he did get to experience it. 

He would have rather died than never get to be with her. And everyone also knew that. 

They just didnt like to admit it. 

Everyone was getting ready for the mourning. 

It was just one more funeral that they didnt want to have. 

Everyone held it off for as long as possible, but now was the day.

Ni'awtus body lay inside the little boat the Metkayina make for funerals.

Her family got ready for the funeral they thought they would never have. All of the Metkayina getting ready for the funeral they never thought they would have. 

Neteyam wasnt ready. He didnt get ready, or dress in anything special. Instead, he sat next to her. Watching her as she lay there. 

In his hand lay a little necklace. The one that he made her. 

When he made it, he made it from beads he picked for her. The ones that reminded them of her. 

Neteyam remembered one day, when he brought two to her, for her to choose from. She chose the one he knew she would. 

He wanted to put it on her now, so she could wear it forever. The sea could have it. 

To him it was just a reminder. And yes, he wanted to remember everything, but at the same time, there were reminders everywhere.

In the earth, the wind, the water, the smell, her family. Everything. 

There was so much he wanted to tell her. And then wanted her to yell at him for being cheesy.

It wasnt what he wanted, it was what he needed. 

~~

"Hi." His voice cracks from the lack of talking. "Hi my love."

"Ni'awtu, Nia, not water girl." He smiles at the memory where he tried to call her water girl. 

"Today is your funeral. And I am speaking to you." He pauses to look at the necklace. "There is no way I will ever forgive myself. I know you would say, skxawng, you need to. You did this with Aytio. But he wasnt your fault." Neteyam closes his eyes.