~Thirty- Four~

As I surface, shortly behind Spider and Lo'ak, a grunt escapes me. I hold the bullet wound, stiffly.

The two of them high five, from the success. "Guys." I say, in pain. Shit.

I dont know what to do. I dont want Neteyam seeing me like this.

Tsireya comes on her ilu, next to me. "Get on!" She says to all of us.

I spit water out of my mouth as I can barely surface. "I was hit." I say, as loud as I can.

"Shit!" Lo'ak yells, swimming over to me. He grabs my back, and shoves me up so I can breathe.

A huge gasp comes from me with the pain. Spider comes over, trying to help. I didnt realize the sky people were so small.

"Guys up here, come on." Tsireya says, her voice beginning to shake.

A splash comes from behind us, Neteyams here. I dont look back at him, I cant look back at him.

I grab onto the ilu, Tsireya grabbing onto me. I can tell she is crying from her breathes. The only thing I can see however, is just a big blur, fragments of what is happening comes to me.

"What?" Neteyam voice says behind me. "What happened?"

He swims up behind me, and grabs my back and the ilu. I adjust my head slowly, and wobbly. "My love." I whisper.

He smiles at me, sadly. "Lets go! Go go go!" He yells.

~

"Watch her head!" They yell around me. Series of words and things register as they haul me off of the ilu and onto shore. Are we home already?

"Watch her head!" Jake yells to the rest of him. Is the the only parent here? Where are mine? Where is everyone?

I land roughly on the rocks, opening my eyes further. We are not home. This is too rough of a surface. No one has come to us yet. It doesnt feel like home. I want to go home.

Neteyams hand grabs onto mine. "Ni'awtu." He says, from over me. "Nia."

His voice is shaky. Ive never heard him like this before. "Nia, please. open your eyes."

I open them as far as I can. Anything for him.

No one else around me registers, they are all blurry. I am glad I dont have to see my sister. She shouldnt have to see me dying. I smile at myself.

"Neteyam." I whisper. His hand reaches, and holds my face. I watch as his eyes fill with tears, behind them is anger.

Tears on Neteyam are strange. To me he is strong. In the vulnerable moments, we are happy.

"Ni'awtu." He whispers once again. "We have so much to do. Im still going to take you to my home. And become a warrior. I want to tell you more stories." I nod slowly, listening to his voice. It has always soothed me. Even when he pisses me off. "My love, I want to annoy you everyday. Please. Please, just breathe, stay awake."

I take a deep breath, listening to him, watching him.

I wonder what everyone is thinking when they hear this. Especially Jake.

"We are going to get older, and be happy. Youre going to be happy. No fear. Im done with your necklace did you know that?"

I shake my head, laughing, more like coughing, at him. I cant believe he finished it. Now, I never get to see it.

"Youre going to get your dream." He says. My dream. My fake dreams.

All of these promises. They wont happen. Because I am dying.

"Neteyam, those werent my dream." I smile.

"Stop, I know, my love." He says.

"Shh." I say. I dont listen to him. Why would he think not talking is going to stop me from what is happening.

"My love, what is your dream?"

"My dream isnt to go to your home. I could go anywhere or no where with you and still be happy." He moves his face confused. "My dream is to be with you."

Neteyam breathes out, in a quiet sob. I blink slowly, looking up to the sky. It is almost eclipse.

My dream is now to be with him. It could not happen, and yet, miraculously it could.

"I love you." I say quietly, blinking once more.

And then, it is dark. Neteyam my last sight.