Nine

Despite what I said to Neteyam last night, I will see you tomorrow, I did not see him tomorrow.

I saw no one other than my family and people I see every day.

I spent the day with my father. He took Aonung, Tsireya, and I out hunting with the rest of the warriors. This is only a special occasion. He only takes us on some circumstances.

This circumstance was me.

From the way he asked us, I could instantly tell. However, the reason for this, I have no idea.

That night, around the fire with my family, my father crouches down beside me. Ive waited for this all day.

"Hi father." I look up to him, giving a smile.

"Ni'awtu." He smiles back.

Watching him, waiting for him to say something, my mother gives him a look from across the room. To me the look is unreadable, but to my father he knows exactly what she is saying.

I have no idea how they do it. Once upon a time I understood, but now that seems too hard for me to be able to do.

"Did you enjoy it today?" He asks.

I nod, slowly. This is so strange.

"It was very fun. I love to hunt." I love to learn more things, and to help my clan.

"Im glad," I glance towards the fire. "It was good, to see you today."

"What do you mean?" My eyebrows furrow. He sees me every day.

"Today you seemed very different. Maybe it was because we were out, you were learning, but maybe it was also because youre growing." Eywa save me from this.

"Different in a good way?" I joke.

He nods. "Yes Nia."

"Oh, well, thats good." He looks at me, expecting me to say something. I say nothing. What is there to say?

"Just wanted to tell you I am proud." I look up at him. He does not do things like this very often. I 

can tell it is as weird for him as it is for me.

Our family listens in as they all do different things around the marui. They all try to be discrete, but none of them are being very secretive.

"Thanks dad." He nods once, and then stands up. I breath out, my hands are tempted to shake.

I follow, and stand up as well, walking towards our door. "I think I am going to go for a ride."

I turn and look at my mother. She nods, approving.

As I leave, I shake out my hands, trying to get calm. Roisu swims up, and I dive into the water, grabbing onto her.

Like almost always, we swim fast through the water, letting my mind calm. At the barrier, we go above the water. I want to look out to the ocean.

I climb off of her, and let her swim away. Standing at the edge, I watch out into the darkness. Blue specks go throughout the water, but other than that, I cannot see anything.

I love our reef, and my home, but Ive always wanted to travel the great waters. I want to go to the forest, the plains, and the floating mountains they are always talking about.

Our spirit tree has floating rocks, but it is nothing like the ones the Sullys describe about their home.

Looking out to the crashing water always makes me feel so small, so insignificant. Being the next leader, I know that I will rarely get to travel. It breaks my heart.