Fourteen

Neteyam brushes his hand to my shoulder and back down to my stomach in offering comfort.

After a few moments when the tears finally stop, I let go, slowly.

I cant believe I just hugged Neteyam Sully. 

I can feel the puff in my eyes, but I still look at him, as I rest back, still on my knees.

They touch his legs still. I let my hands rest in my lap.

His eyes are sad. I wonder what is running through his mind.

After trying to explain, Im sure he can put all of the pieces of why I am the way I am.

Right now, I'm kind of thankful that I told him.

"Nia, you're strong." He says out of nowhere.

"Thank you Neteyam." I whisper. Im glad he thinks so, because I am skeptical.

"I dont want you to be scared of being friends with me."

"Trust me, I dont either." I reach over to where his hand rests on his leg and grab it again. "Thank you for listening."

I take a deep breath and notice that it feels like a sudden weight has been taken off of my shoulders.

"Ni'awtu, I will listen to you anytime. Even if you're mad at me."

A small smile grows across my face. "Youre the first person I've talked about him with," He looks down, shy. "I just needed someone to know."

"Im glad you told me."

"When I had that dream about you, my mother told me it was Eywa, and that she wants me to let go. They want more friends for me. And though I am scared of it, and think its a bad idea, that is what everyone says." I explain a little further.

"I agree. Vulnerability is how you live." He moves a piece of his hair behind his ear and flits his eyes up to me. "Strength is important, but in a lot of cases, vulnerability is the biggest strength."

I nod. He is right. Ive never ever thought about it like he does.

Since hes come here, Ive noticed the Sully family, and their strength. I wondered what it was, and a lot of it has to be their own vulnerability.

Neteyam and Tsireya always always bring up things that I havent even thought about. 

"Ni'awtu, you're okay right?" He asks me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I hadn't even realized I spaced out. "Oh yeah. Yes, I am much better now."

"Okay good." He squeezes my hand. "And we are good right?"

The smile on my face only grows. "Yes, the best."

I've never had a friendship like I do with Neteyam. Even Aytios was different. "Thank you."

"That is the third time you've said thank you." He points out.

I laugh a little bit, and watch as his eyes finally light up as well.

~

We talk for the next hour or so.

It is the longest time I've spent with Neteyam. It is also peaceful. My mind is with him and him only.

It is what we are thinking, and that is the only thing.

He makes it feel like things are simple. Even if I do think he is a big jungle baby.

"Neteyam, we should probably go back home." The two of us lay on our backs, in the sand, watching the sky as eclipse begins.

For some reason, our hands are still connected inbetween us.

I figured after all this time I wouldn't want to hold it anymore, but there wasn't ever a want to.

"Youre right." Neither of us get up. Nothing else matters. 

"You are not stronger." He states.

"I am definitely stronger then you." Our arms brush together on our way back to our homes. It is dark now. way pass eclipse.

"There is no way. I am older, and work harder."

I gasp at him. No way. "I was the one that beat you up that one day." He squints one of his eyes, trying to recall. "I won, and could do it again."

He rolls his eyes, still unconvinced.

As we walk off of the barrier, I notice the homes are lit, voices are loud and carrying. 

"Neteyam." I grab his arm and we both pause, noticing the frantic energy in the village.

The next thing I know, my father storms up to the two of us. My mother follows him shortly behind.

My mind is instantly worried. I drop his arm.

"Where have you been Ni'awtu?!" He yells. "And you, Sully boy, need to find your father."

His voice sounds insulting, but really he is just upset.

I already know my parents think the worst of Neteyam and I. After tonight, they wont ever like him again. 

I keep my stance next to Neteyam. I wont leave until we absolutely have to. 

Neteyam doesnt have to find his father, because Jake finds him. "Boy, you better get here now." Jake points in front of him. "You dont go anywhere without asking during the night."

Neteyam nods his head, and begins walking towards his dad. I look at him, sympathetically before turning towards my dad. 

"Home, now." My father puts his hand on my shoulder and guides me home. 

"The other day I was telling you I was proud of you!" My father almost yells. Him and my mother stand in front of me, towering over me.

"This all could have been avoided if you told us where you were going and who you were going with." My mother adds. 

"That boy. Why were you with him alone?" My dad asks, wrapping his arm around my mothers waist. 

"Oh father, we were not alone!" I furrow my brows together. We were alone but not in the way that they think we are. 

"So you did not walk out of the barrier together? Alone?" My mother raises her voice. 

"We did, but we did not do anything. We were talking." Both of them scoff unbelievably. "We were talking about Aytio!" I finally say, raising my voice as well. 

Their eyes both change. They are shocked. They have not heard that name from my mouth since he died. 

Neither of them know what to do or say. Their eyes glance at each other for a moment and then my father looks at me. 

"You were talking about what?" He asks. 

"Aytio." He nods, "Yes, can I please go to bed?"

They both look at each other and communicate through them. My mother finally nods. 

//

Dude, I reallyyy did not like this chapter. Cute

I hope it was good for you though!