Thirty-One

"Tsireya knows."

Neteyams deep eyes look at mine, just a little bit of worry in them.

And then once he blinks, it's as if every doubt goes away. I have no idea how he does it.

"How does she know?" His voice is calm.

"We were talking this morning, and she noticed last night when we were dancing."

His eyes look down to the ledge.

"She won't tell." I assure him.

"Oh no, I'm not worried about that." He looks up at me, and grabs my knee in comfort.

"Oh," My voice suggests that I am curious, so I wait for him to answer.

"Im actually excited she knows. I just don't want you to feel bad or pressured." My heart melts once again.

I adjust, crossing my legs, and pressing my knees to his legs. Now I am facing him, while his body faces forward.

"It was nice to tell her." He smiles. "Scary though."

A nod comes from him, and his hair falls in front of his shoulders. He is thinking.

I can tell his thoughts are deep in wonder. Wonder about us, what will happen.

"Neteyam." His eyes peer back into mine and I keep them confident. I need to be strong. "I am in love you. In every way. We will mate and no one can do anything because I am yours."

His posture, eyes, and everything about him looks like it looses pounds of weight. That is something that should have been said a long time ago.

I know he knows this, but sometimes it feels like he thinks I don't know this. And a lot of times, I forget.

We sit for a while, just being secure in this moment because no one can take it away. No one will come up here, no one knows where we are. It's perfect.

"Hey Nia," My eyes move from the moving water back onto his. "What is your dream?"

A small laugh arupts from me. He remembers.

Neteyam shares a cheesy grin.

"Um," I look down at his hand on my knee. My dream.

Last time I told him it was to go to his clan with his sisters, which was only one of my dreams. Not my actual dream.

My dream was to have Aytio back.

And now, I realize that that cannot be a dream because it will not happen. He may be reborn, but there is never a guarantee.

Even if he did come back, I am with Neteyam. Aytio is my past. He was my best friend, my unknown mate. He has helped me overcome. It is not the same.

"Can I tell you something fake again?" He furrows his eyebrows together and then nods, once, slowly. "My dream is for you to take me to your clan." It is almost impossible now. We've talked about how rare it is that this could happen, and that is why it is a dream.

It also isn't my full dream; hence the fake.

A sad smile escapes him. "What is your dream?"

He looks up, through the canopy of leaves and puffs out air through his mouth.

"My dream, Ni'awtu, is to become a warrior, and protect you." My smile turns impossibly bigger with my proudness. I didnt expect that. "And my family." He adds on, in an obvious tone.

Neteyam

The moments I share with my love are the highlights of everything right now. Two months ago, there was no way this was happening.

My highlights then were learning the way of water. Seeing our new home.

Playing and teasing my siblings, but showing them what they need to do. It's always been part of my life.

Movement is the only thing in our lives now. In my families lives, Ni'awtu and I's, the clans.

It is unsteady and always changing, like the water that surrounds us.

Nia warned me about this bad thing coming, and of course it is. Things are being thrown at us on all fronts.

So many things can and will happen. Avoiding them is not the answer. Stepping up, being in control, is the answer.

Listening to others, taking time is the answer.

And being in the moments with my love, displays everything we need.

My dream is just doing what I've done. Extending it to her, and to people I am responsible for. Ni'awtu is one of the most powerful people I've ever met, and with that comes the responsibilities.

It makes the role become more. Responsibilities like my fathers, Tonowaris, Ronals.

And with it all, I wouldn't change it for anything.

//

This was short. Not the best writing but I just needed to conclude because shit is about to go down and I am not ready