Six

"Do you need something?" I ask, attitude obviously showing through my voice.

"I need you to tell me something." He says in a cocky voice like normal. 

His voice is not like my brothers though, which I appreciate. It is more of a joke, and confidence.

I turn around and look at him with a sarcastic shock on my face. "Mhm." I hum. There is nothing I need to tell him.

"Why can we not be friends?" He is arrogant. He is annoying. He tries to prove him better then me. The list goes on and on. "I understand, you think I am too confident or something. And that there is competition because we are both eldest, but why does that matter?"

I shut my eyes tight, breathing out a held in breath. "Because, Neteyam, you ask questions like this."

I watch his face closely as the thoughts go through his head. I expect him to ask even more questions but he only nods. "I see."

Does he really see? Is he just saying that so I no longer talk.

I do not ask because I do not care.

We sit in silence for a moment. Silence I appreciate.

But then, it is me who wants to break it.

"Why do you want to be friends so bad?" I ask, looking behind me. A piece of my hair falls into my face. He purses his lips, thinking.

"I want to know you. I want to be friends with everyone. I do not like to have enemies with people I am with." I look to the ground. He is right.

No one should have enemies with who they are close with, especially when they are living with you for who knows who long.

"I understand Jungle Boy." He lets out a small laugh. I almost forgot about my nickname for him. We havent talked in days.

Behind me, he moves forward to sit besides me. I groan. My nickname and politeness was not an invitation.

His smile only grows at my frustration.

"Tell me this," He shoves his shoulder into mine, I move my head quickly to look at him and then move away. "What is your dream?"

I smile. Asking questions does not get him in good places. "Do you not understand?" I look at his curious eyes. "Asking questions is not good."

"Fine, tell me something fake." I think back to things that I've thought about, things I've talked about.

My dream.

"My dream is to go to your clan with your sisters."

He is surprised. "I think you would like it there."

"You might be able to tag along." Glancing at him, I give him a stupid smile. It is his home, he should be able to. Im sure his sisters would like him to go home as well. 

"Tagging along to my own land." He laughs at me.

He had to leave his land, it is no longer his.

I dont point this out though. It is heartbreaking enough as it is.

"What is your dream, Jungle Boy?" I ask. There is a small scream from Tuk in front of us.

Observing the people quickly, I can tell it was just Neytiri scaring her.

Neytiri laughs and holds her stomach at scaring her daughter.

He looks down to his hands, letting his smile fade. Looking down as well I notice his fingers fidgeting in his lap.

"Probably to protect the ones I love the most I can."

"Protecting my people is important as well."

"Your parents and you both." A small laugh escapes me, he is right. We opened up a risk when we took them in. 

"That is another part of why I do not like you."

"I understand." He grabs my forearm, lightly. I look up at him alarmed.

Depsite all of my attitude, his eyes are sweet and warm like normal. 

His eyes are one of my favorite things about him. That and his smile. For disliking him, they seem to stick out to me. 

"Nia, please do not attack me again," he starts. 

"If you-" If he has to say that, there is a chance I will. 

"But, I do. Like you." He finishes, cutting me off. The thought of taking the angry route crosses my mind, but for some reason, I decide against it. 

Today it has been simple to talk to him, and to sort of get along with him. "I can tell." 

He stares at me blankly, giving me an upset face. And then he burst out in a laughing fit. I follow and laugh with him. 

Deep down this day has changed so many things for me. There is a piece of me that wants to be friends with him. At the same time, I am scared to get my feelings hurt or open up to him. 

Being friends with Kiri is reasonable because she has the same fears. For some reason I know I can trust her. With Neteyam there is some feeling that something bad will happen; regarding what, I can't tell. But I cannot get hurt by anyone again. 

"Hey!" Kiri yells from the bottom of the waterfall. 

"Come up!" Neteyam yells back, keeping his eyes on me. 

We both stare at each other, until I glance down, watching her tread water. "No, you come down!" 

I laugh, and stand up quickly. "Bye Jungle Boy." 

I jump into the chilly water again, and smile to Kiri. He laughs at the top of the waterfall, before jumping down after me. 

"My son seems to like you Ni'awtu." Neytiri whispers beside me. Quickly, I glance over at her in alarm. 

On our way back to the village, we walk beside each other in silence. Tuk lies sleeping, in her arms. "What?" I ask. The entire walk was in silence until now.

"Neteyam." Is all she says. Of course, Lo'ak is too wrapped up in Tsireya. 

"Im not sure about that. I am not the nicest to him." I smile. 

"I only see it. The two of you are very alike. But you are very strong and stubborn when you talk." Her eyes glance to mine. "And he is curious."

I never noticed her listening or watching. But she is his mother, it is not surprising. "Why do you tell me this?"

She walks in silence for a moment, looking forward to him. Kiri and him walk beside each other, talking about something. 

"I see a lot of me in him. I see a lot of me in you from when I was younger. With that, I know you have issues seeing past things." I breathe out deeply. This isnt where I thought this conversation would go. "I do not know why."

What she is saying makes sense. It is a compliment to be seen as someone like her. The issues isnt the best compliment. 

"Neytiri," She looks down at me, "Thank you for telling me."

The woman only nods and smiles. 

Neteyam and Nia... progress

I am really trying to get Neytiri and Nia to bond because I think it would just be cute for them to have a little relationship. And I see so much for Nia in Neytiri so it makes sense to me. 

<3