Twenty- Nine

"Come come!" The young girl says. She pulls along her best friend, and her best friends brother. Her love.

The village is lit, the sky is dark. People are loud and excited about this night.

The Metkayinas festival falls tonight. Almost a twice a year thing, shortly after the tulkun leave. Fires are lit, dances are held, praying commences. Eywa is very strong for the people.

"Keep up, babies." Ni'awtu keeps pulling the people behind her, excited to see them at the scene.

As the three of them approach, everyone greets them. The motion of I see you comes from everyone, smiles, and bowing of their heads follow.

Ni'awtu already sees her family, mostly up front. Tsireya holds onto Lo'ak, waiting for the dancing to start.

She finds Neteyams parents, both with Tuk, watching the people with amazement in their faces. This time, she is more excited to watch her new friends at the celebration.

Kiris is amazed as well. Her heart beats in her chest as she watches everyone do different things.

Her eyes move to Ni'awtu, then Neteyam, before running to go sit down along the beach with others who pray. Any chance Kiri gets to be closer with Eywa, she takes.

Since Kiri showed Ni'awtu what she has been teaching herself, Nia understands why. Kiri is now learning her abilities.

Neteyam and Ni'awtu leave their hands together and watch Kiri as she gets comfortable with them. Nia and Neteyams hands are warm, feeling seemingly perfect together.

"You want to dance," Neteyam asks from behind Nia. She feels him against her back as he leans in. His breaths follow against her shoulder. "My love?" He asks, whispering close to her ear.

Her entire skin crawls with chills. She nods quickly, and walks as far as she can in front of him. She needs to cool off before she let's him see her flustered. There is no way she will allow that satisfaction.

When they arrive close to the dance around the fire, Ni'awtu turns to him. She takes a deep breath, and grabs his other hand.

"People watch." Her eyes spin around. They land on his parents and then she quickly looks away.

"Good."

Her heart pounds from nerves and from the way Neteyam is so open. They begin to move, the way everyone else is. Despite being in different clans, it is one of the same dance as Neteyams home.

Ni'awtus eyes keep on his. Neteyam is confident.

He gives her the confidence in this moment that she needs.

To Ni'awtu, she has always been confident. She was independent. And with Neteyam it seems to all go away sometimes. It has infuriated her since she met Neteyam.

Her mind lies with him now. Though she was scared, she can only think of his eyes.

It feels like they are sinking into each other. Like the weight of the water feels on their lungs.

As if they suffocate in each other's attention.

The two teenagers don't realize it, but the people around them, the ones that do nothing, watch them closely. Noticing their looks.

The only one of their parents who notices is Jake. His eyes watch them closely. He notices the familiar feeling from when he was young.

He is skeptical. The scene he watches makes him a little mad, but also curious. It is nerve wracking for his son.

When the two leave the dance, everyone gazes back to the rest of them, keeping in their starring.

Ni'awtu and Neteyam walk to the water, sitting down at the edge.

"You are a good dancer." Ni'awtu admits.

Neteyam turns to her, his eyes shocked.

"What?" She asks.

"Do you not remember?"

"Remember what?"

"Last time we danced, you said I was not a very good dancer." A smile crosses her face. She can't believe he remembers.

She covers her face, suddenly shy from the memory. A small laugh falls from her lips.

"Lier." He says. Neteyam moves his hand throughout the water, playing with it, causing it to go back and forth.

They are quiet for a while, just listening to the people, and watching as the water comes in and out.

"Aytio and I came to something like these once." Nia say, breaking the silence. "Since the last one we went to before he died, I haven't been able to come to one."

Neteyams bright eyes look over to her. He expected her face to be sad, but it is still happy and glowing for the night.

"And now, I barely thought of him." She smiles bigger.

She never thought life would be the same.

Neteyams hand runs over to hers, under the water. He tries to keep it discrete.

"Good?" He asks.

"Good." She says back, thinking back on the night that seems so freeing.

"Nini! Ni'awtu!" Nia turns around to the child's voice calling to her. Tuk runs up, her mother shortly behind.

Nia and Neteyams hands fall apart quickly.

"Hi little Tuk!" She grabs Tuks hands.

"Will you come dance with me please?" Nia looks up to the young girls mother who just shrugs. "Please please pleeeeeeease!"

Neteyam laughs at his sister. "Yes, of course I will."

Nia stands up, keeping her hands with Tuks and guides her to the dance circle with one last look at Neytiri and Neteyam.

Neytiri sits down next to him, where Ni'awtu was before. And the son keeps his eyes on the girl as she takes his sister, so sweetly, to the dancefloor.

//
Ik this was short, but I honestly just want to work on their relationship before everything goes down. Because it is coming up :(

the last few chapters haven't been the best sorry babes