Eighteen

"Hi Kiri." I smile, walking through the door of the Sullys marui. This is the first time Ive been to see her after her seizure two days ago. 

Ive wanted to let her cool down. There is no doubt everyone has been smothering her. And her thoughts are more important than my invading.

It is warm inside, it is obvious the Sullys live here. Neytiris bow is set up along the side, there are Metkayina beads strung on the wall. The things that theyve made and brought from home are beautiful. 

"Hey Nia." She looks drained, but she still gives me a smile. Her lips barely turn up, but I can tell she means it. 

"Can I come in?" I ask, standing awkwardly in the doorframe. 

"Of course." Walking over to the bench where she sits, she scoots over, making room for me. Twine rests in her hands, she makes a pattern out of knots on it.

Knotting is my favorite way to fidget if the string is on hand. Whenever our tribe makes nets, I always volunteer. 

"How are you?" 

She breathes out, in a laugh. "I am not okay." Sitting down, I watch her as she thinks. "I havent told anyone that. I told everyone I am fine."

Nodding, I grab her hand from her lap. Looking out their door, I see her family playing in the water together. 

Im not shocked she isnt okay. Everything that happened was terrifying. No one knows what it means. 

I wonder if she wishes she was out there. I wonder why shes not out there. And I wonder what she saw when she was connected to the spirit tree.  

"Thats okay." It is okay, Ive done that for years. It is okay to just not be present and okay. "Youre very strong Kiri."

"I dont feel like it." Her voice comes to a hush as she admits her weakness.

My face falls. Hearing her talk like this breaks my heart. 

The two things Ive always thought of Kiri, is that she is strong and special. 

"That is understandable. But here I am looking at you, admiring your ability to tell me," Turning more towards her, she looks further away from me. "It may be one person but that is a feat. I recently learned that as well." 

"Thank you." 

"Kiri, what happened to you is scary, no one expects you to be okay." She nods, a tear coming to her eyes. "But that is fine. Really, no one is fine." I laugh, and shake her hand a little bit, trying to lighten the mood. 

"You are very wise Ni'awtu." She finally looks up at me. A defining smile is on her face. Thank mother Eywa.

A relief settles over me. Every time Ive walked past their marui, or asked about Kiri, her siblings have said she is drained. No smiling, barely talking.

"Thank you," I push my shoulder into hers, lightly. "You know, that is also something I dont feel like."

A splash sounds from outside, and then some laughs. "Ive noticed that no one really takes credit for what they are because everyones weakness is themselves."

She is right, barely anyone is secure enough in themselves to believe anything someone says. It is easier and less painful to doubt yourself.

"Youre right." We sit in comfortable silence for a moment. 

I could spend my days like this with her. 

I find peace in sitting with her like I do no one else. It normally gives me anxiety when I am with others. 

"Thank you for being my best friend." She grabs her hair out of her face. Finally, she looks more refreshed. 

I cant believe Im her best friend. I havent had friends since after Aytio. 

There is no one I would rather have be my best friend. Since theyve come here, Ive always liked Kiri. 

My lips curl up, and I look up to her, starry eyed. "Kiri!" Her small smile grows as well. "Im glad that youre my best friend as well." 

She pushes out her leg and stretches. "Im so glad my family and I could change you." I give her a confused face. "I just mean that when we got here, you mentioned having barely any friends. You talked about not opening up, look at you now."

"Yes, you are right." There was a shift when they got here. 

The Sully family is everything I needed but nothing I asked for. 

"Im always right." She gives me a funny face, showing her joke, and then we laugh together. 

"Do you want to go out?" I ask, looking at the bright blue water. 

Her face turns to fear and quietness once again. It is still amused, but her initial reactions take over. 

"Um," 

"We do not have to, I was just wondering." I say. There should be no pressure on her timeline. 

"Yes." She nods, and moves her hair behind her ears. 

"Yeah?" She looks up to me as I stand and nods again. "Okay." 

She stands up slowly after me. I walk to the door, and let her put away the rope she was tying. 

Standing next to me, she breathes out and squints at the bright sun. "Wanna jump?" 

She smiles a little, grabbing my hand. "I do."

We give each other one last look before booking it to the water. 

//

Ik that was a short chapter, but I honestly just wanted to focus it on them for a while. One without Neteyam, growing bonds, little stuff like that.

Bro I wrote three drafts for this chapter

I also know that they prolly dont use the word anxiety or know what it is, but I couldnt think of a word for it haha

--- and we almost at 2k reads! 

Thank you sm!