Twenty- Three

Ni'awtu

"-and she pulled us up, and danced with us." Aonung finishes. 

Looking up to him and Roxto, their eyes are beaming, reminiscing on the memories they made last night. 

Throughout his entire sentence I spaced out. All he's been talking about is his crush.

Normally, Aonung doesn't talk about her much. Last night was different for all of us though.

Neteyam, Tsireya, Aonung, Roxto, and I all sit in a circle on a sand pool.

Tsireya and I came out here to string beads, and they all followed. I only wish we could've brought Kiri.

She was sleeping when we walked past earlier. Neytiri sat in the marui, putting away Lo'aks hammock.

The sun is very hot today, beating on us. The water is calm. Everything seems perfect today.

"Youre so dramatic Aonung." Tsireya looks down to her string.

Neteyam and Roxto laugh at Aonung.

"Yeah well I saw you dance with Lo'ak, Tsireya." Aonung defends pushing his hands back and forth in the water.

I look up to Neteyam. I havent asked what hes thought of Lo'ak and Tsireya. 

I guess the only opinions that matter are their own. 

"Shes not talking about it is she?" I defend, moving my gaze over to Aonung.

Roxto says something, a small fight breaking out. Everyone is against Aonung.

Hearing this would normally entertain me, but something else has caught my eye.

At the edge of the barrier, Lo'ak looks around. He peers at every angle he can see. 

Shoving his hair out of his face, he squats for a moment. He is acting suspicious.

Then he turns back to the ocean and jumps in. His ilu appears underneath him before they dive in.

Standing up, I call my ilu.

"Whats wrong?" Tsireya asks.

"Lo'ak left the reef!" They all stand up after me and follow on their ilus.

I follow Lo'ak, far behind. Only being able to see him in front of us before he disappears.

He leads us to a kelp forest by the Three Brothers Rocks.

When Lo'ak stops, I climb off Roisu, grabbing onto the kelp.

Glancing behind me, the rest of the small group follows, leaving their ilus and stopping beside me.

Turning back around, Lo'ak swims, waiting for something.

"What is he doing?" Neteyam signs to me.

Starring back at Lo'ak, I shrug.

But then his question is answered.

Payakan.

Payakan swims up to Lo'ak. The two of them greet each other. I can't see what he is signing. 

I didnt know Lo'ak was still meeting with him. 

This must be where he vanishes to some days. 

The two swim to the surface, and we wait for something to happen. 

I look over to my brother, "What do we do?"

"What can we do?" I sign back. There is nothing we can do.