What Have I Done to Deserve This?

Začať od začiatku

"Dr Sloan shared the same blood type as Mr Sloan which is a main factor we look at however I deemed Dr Sloan unfit to donate her liver," Dr Bailey said.

"How did you come to that conclusion?" Evan asked.

"Dr Sloan although physically fit. Her body has been through a lot of trauma. With prior injuries I was concerned that Dr Sloan's chances of survival were lower than they should be for a woman of her age and fitness," Dr Bailey said.

"One more time for me Dr Bailey was Dr Sloan a suitable organ donation candidate?" Evan asked.

"No," Dr Bailey said.

"No further questions your honour. Thank you for your time Dr Bailey," Evan said.

"You can return to your seat Dr Bailey," The judge said. I looked at Evan as he sat beside me.

"That was good," Evan said.

"Prosecution would like to call Dr Sage Sloan to the stand," Rivers said. I stood up and was sworn in. "Dr Sloan, you were discharged from the United States Army in 2001. Why were you discharged?"

"I requested to be discharged. I was concerned about my own mental health. My commanding officers agreed it was for the best," I said.

"What concerns did you have about your mental health?" Rivers asked.

"I'd lost a lot of people and I chose to bottle my emotions and feelings. I was isolated from the team that saved me for a while before I thought that I was returning back to my old self. What I know now is that the same 17-year-old that left New York simply doesn't exist anymore. I stayed in the army for a further 4 years before I was honourably discharged," I said.

"Did you no longer trust yourself with a gun?" Rivers asked.

"I trusted myself with a gun. I didn't trust that I could be the team member that people needed me to be," I said.

"No further questions, your honour," Rivers said.

"Would you care to cross-examine your client Mr Matthews?" The judge asked.

"Yes. Your honour," Evan said. He stood up. "Dr Sloan, do you at this moment in time believe that you have the capacity to make a sound decision?"

"I do believe that I have the capacity to make a sound decision," I said.

"No further questions your honour," Evan said.

"Okay. We'll take a recess and reconvene at 12:30," The Judge said. Evan and I began walking out of the room. I saw Addison had taken a seat at the back of the court. We walked out.

"I'd like to get this trial thrown out," Evan said. "It seems bigger than you not giving your father a liver,"

"Okay," I said.

"I'll see you back in the courtroom in 30 minutes," Evan said. I walked over to Addison.

"I told you that you didn't have to be here," I said to Addison.

"My surgery was pushed besides I wanted to come and support you," Addison said.

"Thank you," I said wrapping Addison in a hug.

Timeskip

The recess was over and we were called back to the courtroom.

"Would the prosecution like to call their next witness?" The judge asked.

"Actually your honour. The defence would like to file a motion for dismissal," Evan said.

"On what grounds?" Rivers asked.

"On the grounds that you spent all morning dehumanising my client instead of asking questions relating to the reason my client is actually here," Evan said.

"Sidebar gentlemen," The judge said. Evan and Rivers stepped forward to the judge's stand. They talked back and forth. "This case is to be dismissed. Ms Adams I'm ordering you to pay $25,000 in damages to Dr Sloan. This case is adjourned," The judge banged the gavel.

Timeskip
Addison and I went home. We were cuddling in bed. I had my head on her chest.

"Are you okay?" Addison asked.

"Not sure," I said sitting up as I heard the door knock and Ace started barking. "I've got it," I walked to the door. I opened the door.

"I'm sorry. I should have called first," George said.

"No. It's alright. What's wrong George?" I asked.

"Can I stay here tonight?" George asked.

"Come on in," I said. Addison walked out of the bedroom in my t-shirt.

"Everything okay?" Addison asked.

"George needs a place to stay. So he's gonna take the guest room," I said.

"Okay," Addison said.

"Beer is in the fridge. The hard stuff is in the cupboard under the tv. Takeout menus on the fridge. Guest bedroom down the hallway right at the end. The en-suite has body wash and guy things under the sink," I explained to George.

"Thanks, Sage," George said. "Thanks, Dr Montgomery," George said.

"We're not at work George you can call me Addison," Addison said.

"In the morning because for tonight we're going to bed," I said. "Night O'Malley,"

"Goodnight George," Addison said.

"Goodnight," George said.