Chapter Forty Six

Start from the beginning

Flipping the envelope upside down a shiny blue and bronze pin fell out. Mrs Weasley gave a gasp. "Oh! Oh! Congratulations!" Noel clenched her fist and stood stiffly when Mrs Weasley hugged her.

The kids all came running up at the commotion and stared at the two.

"Head Girl!" Mrs Weasley cheered. Noel bit her lip and threw her head back, staring at the ceiling to avoid everyone's eyes.

"Congratulations Noel!" Hermione said excitedly. "You'll be an amazing Head Girl!"

"Thanks." Noel murmured, sending her a smile. Because she was clenching the pin so tightly in her hand it started to cut her, a few drops of blood hit the floor. Harry noticed immediately and he grabbed her hand, dragging her into the room he was staying in.

They sat on the bed and Harry picked up a shirt to wipe the blood off. "What's wrong?"

Noel looked down to avoid his gaze. "Didn't know I was into manhandling." She joked but he didn't laugh.

"El."

"I don't know." She ran her fingers through her hair and played with the ends, "I should be happy but all I can think about is the responsibility and how little free time I would have. I can't be Head Girl!" Noel cried out.

With his free hand Harry grabbed her chin and made her look at him. "It's okay. Love, I promise you'll be okay. I'm sure all the prefects would be happy to help."

"Okay." Noel whispered.

"Okay." Harry tucked some strands of hair behind her ear and gave her a kiss before he leant back and grinned. "I'm Quidditch Captain."

Noel beamed and grabbed his shirt before pulling him in. Harry grunted in surprise and kissed her back.

"Have I ever told you I have a thing for quidditch players?"

"Once or twice." He murmured, their lips still connected. "You wanna tell me again?"

Noel pushed his head away and laughed. "Fuck off."

Ron was careful not to be flippant about Voldemort over the next few days. Saturday dawned without any more outbursts from Mrs. Weasley, though she seemed very tense at breakfast. Bill, who would be staying at home with Fleur (much to Hermione and Ginny's pleasure), passed a full money bag across the table to Harry.

"Where's mine?" demanded Ron at once, his eyes wide.

"That's already Harry's, idiot," said Bill. "I got it out of your vault for you, Harry, because it's taking about five hours for the public to get to their gold at the moment, the goblins have tightened security so much. Two days ago Arkie Philpott had a Probity Probe stuck up his... Well, trust me, this way's easier."

"Thanks, Bill," said Harry, pocketing his gold.

"'E is always so thoughtful," purred Fleur adoringly, stroking Bill's nose. Ginny mimed vomiting into her cereal behind Fleur. Harry choked over his cornflakes, and Ron thumped him on the back. Noel looked at the couple in slight discomfort, she really, really hoped she and Harry weren't as bad as those two.

It was an overcast, murky day. One of the special Ministry of Magic cars was awaiting them in the front yard when they emerged from the house, pulling on their cloaks.

"It's good Dad can get us these again," said Ron appreciatively, stretching luxuriously as the car moved smoothly away from the Burrow, Bill and Fleur waving from the kitchen window.

"Don't get used to it, it's only because of Harry," said Mr. Weasley over his shoulder. He and Mrs. Weasley were in front with the Ministry driver; the front passenger seat had obligingly stretched into what resembled a two-seater sofa. "He's been given top-grade security status. And we'll be joining up with additional security at the Leaky Cauldron too."