Chapter 11

EZRA

I'm taking out the last batch of cookies from the oven when I start hearing hollers from the living room. I also hear footsteps, they are getting louder and louder.

I place the hot tray on the kitchen slab before removing the soft mittens from my hands as I attempt to leave the kitchen area. I'm not even two steps out when my body is shoved out of the way by two people.

"Yo Zee, what are you cooking na? From outside, the scent don already dey slap my nose!" A voice similar to Kere's voice yells as the bodies push past me and head right into my kitchen, along with two other new people.

It takes me a second to wrap my head around the situation before I realize that it's the guys. They're quick to start digging into the hot cookies that I just removed from the oven. They start fighting over it, not even caring that it's fresh out of the oven and still very hot.

"Can you guys chill? It's still hot, wait before you get burnt." I say to them, with my eyes fixated on Kere. He's the most impatient out of the four.

The four guys back away from the kitchen island as I start making my way back into the kitchen.

"Why are you guys here? You didn't even tell me you were coming." I say in a confused manner as I take a seat on one of the kitchen stools around the island. The guys grab seats of their own at the other side of the island, directly across the cookie tray.

"We came here to get you ready for the party," Muna says as he reaches for one of the cookies, and I slap his hand away.

"Who let you in through the door?" I ask all four of them.

"Guy, we practically live here, who wouldn't let us in through the door." Kere says with a full mouth, and I realize that he has been eating a cookie.

I shake my head at him, dropping the matter as I pick up one of the cookies for myself. The guys get the hint and start to munch on my two hours of work.

"I'm not sure I'm going to that party. I mean, it's in the middle of the forest." I try to reason but they let out exasperated groans at my statement.

"You have to go. I can't be the only voice of reason among these animals." Idris says, referring to the guys.

"Hey! I'm also a voice of reason." Seth defends himself and all of us turn our attention to him.

"See this one! One drop of beer and you've turn to mumu!" Muna says in between laughs, and the other guys join him. I stifle my uprising laughter.

"Stop it joor!" Seth huffs, shoving Muna.

"I'm just saying the truth, bro." Muna defends, still laughing, which is just pissing Seth off more.

"Back to what we came here for, guys!" Kere whines.

"I'm not going, guys." I say.

"You have to!" Muna counters. I shake my head.

"No, I'm not going," I take off my apron and hang it over the empty stool beside me.

"Zee, you've not attended any of my parties in weeks. Please, just come to this one. Please, should I kneel down for you?" Kere begs with his folded hands as he attempts to kneel down.