Chapter 1: Strong Emotions

Beginne am Anfang

Casey turned around in his chair, looking over at the dance floor. He watched as Mac went up to the DJ booth and started leading the party with music. Casey smiled a bit; it wouldn't be long before he too would be regularly at these scenes doing the same thing.

His eyes drifted back over to the door that June had left from. His eyes immediately caught on to a girl sitting a few barstools down from him. She was dressed in a black and red jumpsuit with playing card symbols on it. She was sobbing heavily, causing white and black makeup to run down her face.

Casey's eyes widened in surprise. It was such a shockingly random sight to see. He was completely caught off-guard. Nevertheless, she was clearly distressed. So against his better judgment, he decided to move over next to her and check on her.

"Hey... You alright?" He asked, resting his arm on the counter and leaning closer so she could hear him. She sniffled and quieted a little at the sound of someone talking to her.

"What does it look like?!" She snapped at him, glaring at him. Her eyes were filled with tears, and the makeup was running all down her cheeks. It was not a pretty image. Casey bit his lip so she wouldn't see his urge to laugh.

"Sorry. Obvious question. My follow-up was going to be, 'What happened to you?'." He continued. Harley sighed, leaning on the countertop and resting her chin on her folded arms.

"I just got dumped. And now I feel like a dump."

"Ahh," Casey nodded. This was his initial guess when he saw her crying the way she was. "I'm sorry to hear that. Breakups suck. I know the feeling." He said with empathy. She looked at him again.

"Do ya?"

"Yep. You're looking at a guy a year-and-a-half removed from the biggest relationship he ever had." He said in a melancholy tone, taking another sip of his drink.

"Oh..." Harley said. She felt for him, but that tone didn't bode well for her own breakup with the Joker. "Well, you're looking at a gal an hour-and-a-half removed from her biggest relationship."

"That recent, huh? Jeez. Need a drink?" He offered.

"Please?"

"Of course." He nodded and managed a smile.

As he called the bartender over and ordered a drink for her, she started to stare and learn this guy's face. He had dark, curly hair that was cut short on the sides and taller on top. His face was a little rounded out. He had brown eyes. He looked fairly young, maybe a little younger than her.

"Here ya go." The bartender slid a drink over to her. She gulped it down quickly and grunted, placing the empty glass down a bit forcefully.

"Thank you, kid... What's your name?" She asked.

"Casey. And you?"

"I'm..."

Harley hesitated for a moment. She was going to introduce herself as Harley Quinn, as she often did. But everyone knew that Harley Quinn was the Joker's girl. The fact that this guy hadn't figured that out already was a miracle.

"I'm Harley." She introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you, Harley. I'm guessing your last name is Davidson?" He joked subtly.

"No, why...? Oh," Harley shook her head and chuckled a bit once she got the joke. "You got me there. That was kinda cute."

"Haha, thanks." He said with a smile. She smiled too, but then it faded.

"Well, I appreciate ya tryna help me feel better. And for the drink. I think I'm just gonna crash at a friend's place tonight. Get all my cryin' out." She said.