Ch 58: Behind The Mask

Song Recommended

Azrael pov:

"What are you doing here? What are you planning?!" I stand and yank against my cuffs, wishing to rip his throat out.

"Quick to anger, are we my dear Azy?" I felt my blood boil when he used that name. Breathing hard through my nose I sit down and try not to let this man get to me.

"No one's gonna see or hear us... it's just you and me Azrael." He points to the camera and tilts his head, hiding his face behind the mask.

"So what? You out me and hope the justice system takes care of me? I'll have them paid off in an hour." He laughs and shakes his head, leaning back in his chair.

"No, I know better than that. I just needed to get close to you. You've been hiding and it's been hard keeping track." I felt my stomach drop, this was nothing more than flushing me out of hiding.

"What do you want then? There's not much you can take from me right now." I lean forward and stare him down, trying to call his bluff.

He lets out a deep sigh and reaches up to his face, removing the mask with a black gloved hand. My throat goes dry seeing his face, it was never easy seeing it, I know I'm the cause of it. We don't say anything for a moment, both of us just staring at each other with cold eyes.

"Sometimes... I wish things didn't turn out this way." I could hear the pain in his voice as he spoke, the agony in his deep green eyes. They're darker than the last time I saw them.

"It's not too late... this can all stop." I reach out and hold the scarred side of his face in my cuffed hand.

For a second I can see the bright green I remember from childhood. I can see the boy I grew with, the one I cared deeply for. I saw him, I could see the hope fading quickly the longer I stared. Jerking back he stands and removes himself as far as he could from me.

"I'm in too deep now. There's no going back, Azrael." He lowers his gaze to the floor, the hurt boy from childhood flashing in my mind.

"I-its not we can-"

"I CAN'T GO BACK! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!?" His voice is raised as he shouts at me, slamming his fists on the metal table.

"There is no hope for me..." His voice quiets down as he whispers the last part.

"Ryker-"

"Ryker is gone. Greenwood is all that remains." His eyes shine like a bright flame, showing his hatred for me in seconds.

I stare at him, memorizing his face and trying to find any bit of Ryker inside of his eyes. He huffed and kicked a chair over, screaming in anger as it fell over and crashed against the wall.

"I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID! I HATE THAT YOU TURNED ME INTO THIS! AND I HATE THAT I MISS YOU!"

His words make me feel ill. Even after what I've done, what I'm willing to do to keep Amilia safe, he still misses me. I stand and try to move but the cuffs stop me from moving around too much.

"Maybe... maybe I could live with this anger if I didn't miss you. I hate that I miss you. You've ruined me Azrael... and I'm just so angry." I see a tear slip from the unscathed side of his face.

"Ryker-"

"GREENWOOD!" He shouts, leaving me stunned. Nodding my head I try again.