Ch 29: Moving On

Azrael pov:

"You can't be serious!?" I struggled to hold my anger inside. I dragged my mother and father into a secluded area to speak.

"You're being emotional." My father removed my hand from his shoulder.

"Emotional? You just brought her in and expect me to be fine?" I scoffed and ran my hands through my hair.

"It's in the past, be a man and move on, Azrael." He sounded irritated as he tried to walk away.

"I'm not a man! I'm a woman, who quite frankly hates the person you're asking her to date." I spun him around to face me. He slapped me across the face without a second thought.

He hated when I put my hands on him, he liked to be the untouchable leader of our shitty family. What a fucking joke.

"Date? You will marry her Azrael. Nothing less." I stood shocked at his words, dumbfounded he could say such a thing.

"I refuse-" Another strike landed on me. I knew better than to retaliate, it never ended well.

"You wanted to be responsible, well now you can, especially since that slutty little distraction is gone." My heart ached to hear him speak so badly of her. I know I'm mad at her but even I wouldn't stoop low enough to call names.

The look in his eyes told me everything, there was no backing out, I was obligated to do this. Not seeing any reason for my own happiness or general care for my life I gave up quickly.

"Fine…" Shoving past him I went back to the kitchen and found her sitting and drinking tea.

She's just like I remember her. Long silky Brown hair, shiny green eyes, and a beautiful face. Yet none of it made me feel the same. I kept comparing it to Amilia, all I could think about was Amilia.

"Azrael, you look well." She stood to hug me but I stopped her immediately. Keeping her at a distance as I shook her hand.

"Josephine. How's life treating you?" I didn't really care, I just needed my father to be happy.

"Decent, it's never really been the same since we split." She smiled but it didn't give me butterflies like before.

"Right, well whose fault is that?" I scoffed but stopped when a heated glare was sent my way from him.

"Yes I know… I'm terribly sorry for back then, Azrael." She stroked my arm but it felt wrong.

The worried look on my mother's face along with my father's glare guilted me into playing along more. I have nothing left to lose, my heart was empty and I was bitter about it. Maybe she could help, after all, we used to be in love.

"All is forgiven." I smiled despite it being a lie. A grunt behind me let me know I said the right thing.

"Why don't you two get reacquainted, you will be married soon." My father spoke but his eyes were elsewhere.

"Of course. No need to rush though." Josephine blushed and followed me out of the kitchen.

We walked to the backyard, enjoying the cool breeze and the last bits of snow melting. I stuffed my hands into my pockets as she placed hers in her jacket.

"I heard what happened." She said suddenly. We stopped outside of the garden, nothing really growing due to the cold.

"It's fine." I hated the pity people gave me over it. I hated her and I was over it, nothing else mattered.