Ch 34: Please Don't

Amilia pov:

I'd been on the edge of my seat all day, today is the day we get to New York. I couldn't be more excited, I would get here and find Azrael. I'd tell her everything, explain and hopefully we could put this behind us.

Jeremy seemed to have a nice time driving us there, he was admiring the cities that passed before we got there. 2 weeks being on the run, almost 9 months being away from Azy, I was ready for all of this to be over.

"We're 20 minutes out." He told me. I nodded and felt the excitement course through my body like a drug.

"I'm happy to be back. I want you to meet her, I'm sure she'd like you." The smile on my face hurt, I just couldn't stop.

"Aw! Does this mean we're friends?" He bumped my shoulder with his. Rolling my eyes and laughing I bumped him back.

"Kinda hard not to when you've traveled across America with someone." He laughed and stopped at a red light.

"You'd be surprised what I've done." The light turned green and we took off again.

Everything around me started to become clearer, memories of walking and driving on the street rushed back. We were so close. Sadly we got stuck in the awful traffic New York is known for.

"Jesus this is ass." He groaned and slumped into his seat. My eyes wandered out to the buildings around us. We weren't far from Az's building.

"I'm leaving."

"What!?"

"Don't wait up."

Jumping out of the car I take off running down the street. Taking a glance back I could see him parking the car and following me with a wide smile. I was so close to her, I felt like crying.

He was on my heels by the time I rounded a corner, it was the front of her building. Catching my breath I started to walk with Jeremy. Then I saw her. She looked a little different.

Her hair was longer, yet it was still messily slicked back like always. She looked a little more serious, and her eyes didn't shine like they used to. None of it mattered though, my heart still skipped a beat seeing her. She stepped out of a car and extended her hand to someone still inside.

A beautiful brown haired woman stepped out with her help. She leaned up and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. I felt my heart stop, my vision tunneld as I watched the smile spread on Azrael's face. I wanted to call out and get her attention but I couldn't, my throat was dry, I had no words.

Jeremy pulled me back into him, moving us back around the corner as they went inside the building. He was talking to me but I couldn't hear him, I was numb, I wasn't here. My breathing picked up as I slumped against the wall. I was panicking.

I shouldn't be, I knew that me leaving could lead to her moving on but… I had to hope she wouldn't. It's what kept me sane. It's what made me push so hard to come back. Now that I'm faced with it I want nothing more than to fall into a hole and die.

"Amilia!" He shouted at me, shaking my shoulders to ground me back to reality.

"Was that her?" He squatted to my level, a concerned look in his eye. I couldn't speak yet, so I nodded.

Understanding everything with a simple gesture he helped me up and walked us back to the car, holding my hand gently. I felt so empty knowing she moved on, I knew she would but it didn't stop the pain.