Ch 31: Runaway

Amilia pov:

My breathing was labored, my legs and feet hurt from running, I was getting exhausted fast. I'm not sure how long I've been running for but it's been awhile.

The distant sounds of people yelling, dogs barking, and occasional gunshots kept me on edge. Looking behind I could see flashlight beams peaking through the darkened forest. Not seeing where I was going made me trip and fall over, tumbling into a small ditch.

I hit my head hard as I landed, with blurred vision I struggling to see anything in the dark. Clawing my way out I could hear them getting closer. Brushing the dirt and leaves off me, I booked it, pushing my body well past its limits.

Running past trees and bushes I struggled to see clearly, the only light source being the moon and faint light behind me. Hearing a gunshot go over my head I ducked behind a tree and took a sharp right. I could see the lights keep going straight while I took a detour.

"AMILIA!

Shouts of my name made my blood pump, my adrenaline spiking through the roof at this point. Keeping pace I see a breaking point in the distant treeline, more light coming through. More than excited I push myself forward, my heart soaring as I do.

Breaking out and coming onto an empty street I'm met with a bright light. I hold my hands up to block my sight to see it better, it was a car, and it's coming right at me. I saw the fear on the driver's face when I didn't move. Luckily they had fast reflexes and stopped just in time, my hands landing on the hood to help.

Loud barking and shouting grew closer, they would find me soon. Rounding to the passenger side of the car I quickly open it and throw myself In. Taking my knife out I point it at the man.

"Drive." My breathing was still harsh, everything was loud and terrifying.

"What!?" He looked to the forest. We could both clearly see light coming from the other end, the barking getting louder by the second.

"I will explain once you drive! NOW DRIVE!" I pressed it closer to his throat, seconds from killing him and stealing the car.

He nodded and took off, driving as fast as he could down the desolate road. Looking in the rear view mirror I could see them break the treeline. They shouted and pointed at the car in frustration. Away and calmed down a bit I relaxed into the seat.

It was at this moment I realized just what type of situation I got myself in. I was in a strangers car, threatening them. Pulling my knife back I place it in my lap and let out a breath of relief.

"So, you gonna explain or am I gonna die?" He laughed like this was funny. I couldn't see how he thought so.

"You're not gonna die… yet." I kept my eyes fixated on his movements, wanting to be sure he wouldn't do something dumb.

"Feisty. I like it." He chuckled and kept driving. 

We sat in silence for a few minutes, my body decompressing from the stress while he drives without a single care. He tapped his fingers along the steering wheel as he hummed a song.

"For someone being forced to drive you sure are taking it well." I scoffed, setting my satchel by my feet.

"I've been in worse situations." He waved me off with a kind smile. I took a moment to register what he looked like.

Messy brown hair that covered his eyes, plump lips, carmel skin, high cheekbones, a lean figure behind baggy clothes. He had a hat in his lap but didn't wear it. He looked at me, I think, and offered his hand to me.