7. An Explosive Workday

2005's first two months passed in routine.

I went to work at Henricks like normal, my mum shaking her head at me as she usually did.

"You don't have to keep working at that dead-end Rose. You should be out doing things, you have the money. What are you waiting for?"

"Something fantastic."

"Fantastic doesn't come from just sitting around...waiting."

"I'm not waiting mum, I'm preparing."

And I was. My mini library of books and scientific journals lined the wall across from my bed. Their bindings worn from how many times I'd read through them, sticky tabs on sections I found particularly interesting.

Weights sat in the corner of my room behind my bedroom's door, and I went on an early morning jog each day. I wanted to be prepared for anything that came my way.

The first week of March 2005 started with my mother congratulating me on the trip I won around the world

I hadn't entered any contests and yet Mum spoke to her friends on how I had called her from work one day to tell her. Another thing I didn't do.

It was the anticipatory symphony that sang in my mind that told me something big was going to happen soon.

Friday I kissed my mum's cheek, grabbed my cell phone, keys and change of clothes before heading out the door for work. The day passed by in customer service smiles until the day ended and it was time to go home. Since I was the last to leave, I was always stuck with taking the lotto down below.

To 'sweet' but slightly perverted Wilson in the basement. He wasn't one that would ever make any moves but occasionally his gaze would linger a little too long; he'd stop as soon as I called him out on it. He'd always be found in his closet reading his trashy magazines even before his shift ended. That night he wasn't there, and his 'closet' office door was locked, in fact when I called out I couldn't find him anywhere.

"Wilson?"

Something was tickling at the fringes of my mind, like deja vu I felt as if I'd seen this all before and not from some horror film but somewhere else.

I heard hurried footsteps after a crash down the corridor. I walked towards it cautiously, I turned on the light to the room to the right at the end of the hall.

I'd barely walked in several steps before the door closed behind me.

"Wilson! This better not be a prank!"

An odd creak came from my left and behind, I backed away as an odd shadow passed over the lit walkway.

I looked around to find myself oddly surrounded by moving mannequins, their movements oddly toddler-like and the sound of creaking echoed.

"I'm warning you..."

As one raised its arm in almost a salute posture my instincts called to me and I kicked him in the abdomen, the mannequin fell back with a dull thud.