116. prison break

Start from the beginning

"Help?" I raise my eyebrows before laughing. "What are you gonna do, Lex? Just pay them off and act like it didn't happen?"

"Brianna-"

"No!"

"Brianna, hey. Brianna, look at me." Margo stands in front of me and places her hand on my shoulder as I keep my gun raised on Lex. "This isn't the answer. Just put it down, okay?"

"I told you that I was done with you. I told you to stay away from me and my family." I ignore her.

"Brianna, you're not thinking straight, okay? And I understand. And you have every reason to be angry at me for what I did. Which is why I'm also here to tell you that I lied. It was meant for you. I just couldn't believe that after everything you've been through, you were still here. But I was wrong. I was wrong." Lex half whispers. "I should've just come to talk to you, but I didn't. I betrayed you, and I'm so sorry. More than you'll ever know. But Jim Gordon is a good man, and he's also your stepfather, and he cares about you just like I do. Let me help you clear his name."

"No." I warily whisper. "Last time you tried to help me, help any of us, it's always ended in someone getting hurt, killed or investigated. I gave you chance after chance because I used to see you as the big brother I never had because after my dad, I always had to be the man of the house—me. But that's over now. Cause you just kept pushing me further out. Couldn't just let the cat kill your curiosity, huh? Lex Luthor will always have to get what he wants and doesn't matter who he hurts in the process of doing so. Just like your dad. Guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

"I can say the same thing about you." Galavan says from behind Lex. "You and Gordon—that temper." He clicks his tongue. "It's gonna get you killed. The both of you. Or..." He holds up a finger. "You can shut it off. The anger. The emotion. You can just turn it off. Like that." He snaps his fingers. "What? You thought you got me rid of me because you had that lovers' spat with your friend? Oh, no, no, no." He laughs. "I am going to be here whenever you think about me. Especially for this."

"Shut up." I tell him.

"Brianna, who are you talking to?" Margo softly asks.

"Or what? What are you gonna do? Kill me?" He laughs. "Your stepfather already did that."

"Detective Brady." Alvarez snaps me out of it. "Is there a problem here?"

"Yeah, there is." I nod. "But it's my problem, Alvarez. Besides, everyone in this department knows what I do when there's a problem." I glare back at Lex. "Just ask Mario Pepper. Jerome Valeska. Father Creel. Oh, wait. You can't. Because I killed them." I rasp out before grinning.

"You're not gonna kill me, Brianna. That's not who you are." Lex merely shakes his head. "You're a good person. You would die for your family. For me. And you have. You're not a murderer. This isn't you, Brianna." His voice strains.

"It is now." I nod before I finally pull the gun away from his chest. "You have no idea who you're dealing with. And you don't wanna find out. So go." I inquire before getting in his face. "Do you want me to prove how serious I am? Again?" I whisper and Lex turns before leaving.

"Bravo!" Galavan claps. "There's the real you! Yeah!Whoo!" He smiles. "It's about time! I mean, why do you care about these people? They don't care about you. None of them. They don't even know you because you haven't shown them. Everyday you wake up and they'll be less of you. You live your life for them, and they don't even see you."

"Shut up!" I bellow and a pain shoots through my chest before I hold it. "Ah!" I drop my gun.

"Brianna!" Margo grabs me.