097. commencement

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

   All For Us: Labrinth, Zendaya

"The gang war rages on here in Gotham. No one knows what set this bloody turf war off, but it is commonly believed to be the result of the longtime power struggle between Salvatore Maroni and Carmine Falcone." The reporter says on the tv as I text with Lois on the couch.

"It's a good thing you're not out there. It's too dangerous." Bruce tells me.

"You sound like my mom. And Jim."

"Are you texting him?"

"No, Lois." I close my phone.

"Are you okay?" Bruce asks. "It must've been very hard to do what you did yesterday. And all days."

"I did what I had to do." I nod. "He was gonna kill Barbara." I get up and walk over to him. "And I would've done the same for you. For Alfred. My mom. Jim. Harvey. My friends." I cross my arms and he faintly grins at me. "You find anything?" I look at the picture of his father.

"No." He grabs the photo and breaks it, making glass shatter.

"Bruce." I place my hand on his shoulder.

"Still looking for secrets, are we, sir?" Alfred questions and I turn my head. "Or just breaking stuff?"

"Secrets." Bruce answers.

"I don't know. Whole city's going doolally around us. I mean, there's a bloody war on the streets and you're in here worrying about your poor old dad." He turns off the tv.

"Yes, I am."

"If your father had a secret life—which I hasten to add, he didn't—I'd know about it, wouldn't I? A sober, diligent man he was. Never out gallivanting. Home every night, like clockwork, working, in this very room."

"Yes, I remember. I wasn't allowed to disturb him while he was working."

"Nobody was."

"Classical music...he would play for hours."

"That's right."

"Mom and I would read books or play board games until he was done. I remember. I tried to sneak in to see him, but the door was locked. Was the door always locked, Alfred?"

"Yeah, well, I suppose so, when he was working."

"Why, though? Why lock the door?"

"That's what doors are for, isn't it?"

"It's in here." Bruce looks at me. "It's in this room. My father's secret, it's in this room. I know it. I know it!" He climbs up the ladder.

"Hey, I got him." I tell Alfred. "I got him." I whisper.