031. skinwalker

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

         ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    Wave Goodbye: Chris Cornell

"I already had the longest day of my life and it's only seven o'clock." Clark enters the diner as I wipe down the counter.

"Yeah, you actually look like you've had a long day. But I guess that's just how you normally are." I glance up at him. "We're gonna close in the next half hour, so make it fast."

"Have your pies sold out yet?"

"All but coconut creme. Why?"

"I was gonna pick up desert for my parents for dinner."

"Yeah, sure. I'll be back in two." I turn.

"And for you too."

"What?" I turn back.

"You're joining us for dinner." Clark nods.

"Appreciate the gesture, but I'm good."

"It's not a gesture. It's mandatory. Besides, my parents will wait all night, you know that."

"You mind waiting outside, then?"

"Yeah. Why?" He furrows his eyebrows.

"I don't wanna rack up another assault charge." I head into the kitchen.

      •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"According to the legend, a man came from the stars and fell in love with the mother of our people. Out of that forbidden affair, the Cowachi people were born." Joseph informs as I eat my dinner with the others.

"Do you know which star he came from?" Clark asks.

"The legend only tells that he left one day and flew back into the sky, promising he would send another."

"And that would be this Naman person you've been talking about, right?" Jonathan says.

"Yes. Of course, that was five hundred years ago." Joseph nods.

"He's a little late." I nod back, making everyone chuckle.

"You're not from around here, are you, guys?" He looks at me and Clark.

"I'm from Denver. Moved here last year." I continue eating.

"Um, actually, Clark is adopted." Martha speaks from the kitchen and I get up with my plate. "Oh, Brianna, I would've-"

"No, no, don't. Eating too fast at night causes severe indigestion." I place my plate in the sink.

"You hear that, sweetheart?" She looks at Jonathan.