Chapter Fifty-Six

The next morning, I woke the same as usual.

Nothing felt off or different, but yet completely changed, all at the same time. I dressed quickly and stopped in my mother's office. Finding the key I wanted, I went to the library. First, I made sure the flame still burned, a spot of bright in the darkened space. Then, satisfied that it was still there and nobody had noticed it, I locked the door and left.

Feeling satisfied with the accomplishment, I went downstairs just in time to sit down for breakfast with Islene and Calin. Nobody said anything, though every once in a while, Calin snuck a coy glance my way as though to remind me of our time in the pool. Otherwise, we didn't speak until our bellies were full and we were all leaning back in our chairs, sipping our coffee.

"So, have you checked out the library?" Islene asked after setting her napkin on her plate and darted her eyes between me and Calin.

I coughed, bringing my hands up to cover my mouth. Did she know? Had she seen what I'd done?

"No." Calin leaned over and patted my back until I stopped, then sat up straight. "I'm sure Nora will go there soon."

I'd have to move the bowl somewhere less visible so they wouldn't realize what I'd done, I thought. Before they saw it.

"I was working on my art project so Calin could hand it in when he goes back to Wickenton," I said, deflecting without outright lying. I looked at him. "Speaking of, when are you leaving? I just realized it's already Tuesday."

Islene laughed. "With what happened, Nolyn caved and excused Calin for the week."

"So you won?" I laughed. "Glad I could help."

"Well, I wouldn't recommend getting kidnapped again, but yes. You helped."

"Yeah... I didn't even go shopping with Nancy." I laughed, but the attempt at humor faded. I cleared my throat. "We'll try again this weekend."

We all sobered. I felt bad for making such a dumb choice to meet Trevor and not tell anyone about it. If I had, I would have saved them a lot of worry and myself a lot of pain. I knew Islene was okay with Calin missing school, but I still felt bad that I was the reason she couldn't return on time.

"Has Trevor said anything yet?" I finally asked Islene.

"No." He shook her head. "The drugs he gave you are having a heavy impact on him, so he isn't really coherent yet. Aiden says he'll get him to talk, though. Don't worry."

"Do you know what you want to do with Astrid?" Calin asked.

Slowly, I nodded. "The same as with Duvessa, only more permanent. I'll decide for sure once Trevor talks. See if we know all there is to know."

"Fair enough." Islene glanced at the bandages I'd replaced after my night swim, then let out a shaky breath. "It's more lenient than she deserves."

"But in line with what I can prove and more than if I tried going to the cops," I said. "It's he-said, she-said. If I tried, I bet it would only punish Trevor, and whoever is taking people for abilities will be farther from being caught. Probably even hide if they think Trevor said anything to reveal who they are."

"Trevor definitely deserves the punishment found in court, but I get your point," Calin said. "He's scum, but Astrid and the mysterious person are worse. I wish there was something else we could do."

"Once Trevor wakes and talks, I'll be able to formulate a plan to find the person responsible for stealing peoples' magic." I shrugged. I wasn't sure how to deal with Astrid after creating the flame, but I was less afraid of the mystery person taking me now that I had nothing to give. "Until then, I don't have anything to start with, and Aiden will figure out how to punish Trevor."