Chapter Twenty

It wasn't long ago that I found a break in the trees leading in the opposite direction of Wickenton. The urge had been the same, like something was drawing me in. This time, I didn't feel the calm the clearing had to offer, but the cramps vanished as though they only existed until I gave into what my body was trying to tell me. They were replaced with an anxiousness that guided my feet towards something I knew wasn't going to be anything close to what I wanted to find.

Was it any wonder that I hated surprises?

No good came from the unknown.

I almost turned around but couldn't leave Onyx, and she was still racing ahead.

Every spot that I'd claimed had been filled with warmth and, when the sun became too much, water was always close to cool the burn. The stream past the clearing in Briarville, the lake that could be seen from the cliff in the clearing in Wickenton, and even the waterfall at the park Calin showed me earlier. This... These trees were cold. Dark. I could see, sure, but it was a dim. I felt like something sinister was going to jump out at any moment. The rays of sun only served to provide enough light to showcase the shadows.

The path was barely large enough for me to navigate through, and I felt branches scratch at my arms. Ahead of me, Onyx slowed her pace. I did the same, hoping it would give Calin time to catch up to me and so I could avoid as many scrapes as possible. It wasn't until I heard the rustle of leaves behind me that I was able to distinguish between Calin's footsteps and the sound of my heart pounding in my ears. I tried to regulate my breathing and find an inner calm.

The path widened and Onyx halted. Once again, I followed her lead. Calin, who'd finally caught up, didn't notice. He took an extra step, the toes of his foot hitting the heel of mine. I stumbled forward. He dodged to the left and somehow managed to keep me from landing on my butt in the dirt, his hands cupping my elbows and mine automatically grasping his forearms. My breath escaped in a huff.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I looked up, nearly grazing my nose on his chin. Immediately, I tried to drop my hands and grazed his stomach. Heat filled my cheeks, and I took a step back. "Fine." I sucked in another breath, surprised—and then guilty—at the dose of calm and awareness such little contact had provided. "Just... yeah. A little winded."

Calin's gaze narrowed on me and then, as though deciding whatever he was thinking wasn't worth saying, lifted his head to look around. The concern visibly faded. Calin's shoulders relaxed as he finally focused his attention straight ahead. "Oh, wow. I haven't been here in years." He turned back to me and the worry furrowed his brow again. "What—Why did you run off? What's going on? I don't feel anything."

"I don't know." I shook my head.

"Nora."

"I don't know, Calin. I'd explain it if I could. I just... had a feeling."

"No, you mentioned magic, and you weren't feeling well."

"I'm fine now."

"I'm confused."

I shrugged. "Welcome to my world."

"Can you try to explain?"

"I don't know what to say. I had cramps. It felt bad. Then, when we were coming up on the path, I... I don't know." Once again, I shook my head. It sounded so stupid. Raising my chin, I decided to embrace the oddity of my impulses. "I was drawn to it, like not coming would make me sicker. Now, my cramps are gone, but... I don't know if that's a good thing."

"Why wouldn't it be?"

I looked around. "This doesn't feel like it's a good place, Calin. It feels wrong."