Chapter Thirty

Calin grew smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror as we drove away from the school. He didn't move. I watched him watch me until he disappeared from sight. A wave of something I couldn't explain passed over me at that exact moment. I turned, stretching to pet Onyx, who was laying across the backseat. The discomfort of the position wasn't worth it, though, because Onyx was fast asleep and barely twitched. Turning back, I slumped in my seat and leaned my head against the window.

Alone.

The thought, although terrifying, invaded my head like a parasite only a prescription could shake free. For the first time, I truly was alone, having become the orphan Devland had once referred to me as being. Last of my bloodline, only one who could do the things my mother could, defying many rules like developing empathy... Even though Islene said she knew, she couldn't experience whatever we learned the same way. No matter what I found or who knew about it, I was alone.

How did Zachariah fit in?

Would Calin even want to?

"Are you okay?" Islene glanced over, then back to the road, finally breaking the silence. "If you want, I can excuse Calin from class so he can meet us."

Sitting straight, I shook my head. My emotions were all over, but I had to stick with my initial instinct, and that was that it was best for Calin to stay home. I mean, just because I was feeling lonely didn't mean that I wasn't meant to be alone. At least for this.

The reminder washed away most of the woe-is-me melancholy that had swallowed me.

"Are you sure?" Islene asked.

I shook my head but said, "Yes."

"If you change your mind..."

"I won't. I have Onyx." Uncomfortable, I shifted in my seat, raising the chair for better support. "We talked. Calin understands why I didn't want him to come." I sighed. "No matter what the results of that test are, I will always consider Calin a good friend, but I don't want to have to worry about anything but what we came to do."

"That's fair." Islene shifted, keeping her hands on the steering wheel. "So, did you get your homework?"

"Yes. Can I just say how much I won't miss having to deal with Mr. Corbin anymore? Also, I can now avoid Devland's annoying appearances at school."

"Did Mr. Corbin or Devland give you a hard time?"

"It was nothing."

"I'll call him. Mr. Corbin agreed everything would go smoothly."

"Seriously, Islene. It's fine and it's over," I said. "Don't give him any reason to be mean to Calin now that I'm not there."

"Well, what homework do you have?"

Leaning forward, I pulled the envelope from my bag where it rested at my feet. I opened the unsealed flap and began reading the headings of each module, plus a page of best practices for a home-schooled student.

"Ha!"

"What?" Islene glanced at me.

"There's modules for every core subject, but these are just links to get onto a virtual classroom where the assignments are posted." I lowered the papers and glanced at Islene. "I guess that means I'm not the only one not attending class, huh? With how much Mr. Corbin hates me, he wouldn't have let teachers build a platform just so I could be educated away from school."

"No," Islene agreed. "I hear it's quite common, especially for those who aren't a part of the community. The amount of magic used at Grimas tends to make them feel on edge and, even if they can't pinpoint why, they stay away."