Chapter Thirty-One

The next morning, I woke before Islene and got ready in the small room at the Bed and Breakfast she had found. Thankfully, it had two beds, which were big enough for Onyx to join me. It was odd, sharing a room with Calin's mom, though I tried to look at it as Islene being my mom's friend rather than my I-wasn't-sure-if-he-was-my-boyfriend's mother. Still, I don't know if I could be comfortable if we'd had to share a bed.

By the time I finished in the bathroom, Islene was awake and changed out of her pajamas. She watched me for a few minutes from where she sat on the side of her bed brushing her hair. Finally, she set the brush down and stood, nodding at me.

"You look better. Are you feeling up to going to the house?"

I nodded. "Lead the way."

"You're sure?"

"Yes. That home-cooked meal they served last night must have been exactly what I needed," I said, not willing to admit that the emotions I felt hadn't disappeared.

"We'll have breakfast first. Make sure you eat some today." Islene raised her eyebrows at me, then grabbed her toiletry bag and disappeared into the bathroom.

When the door shut, my gaze fell to her phone sitting on the night table between our beds. Had Calin texted her to check in? I hadn't heard back from anyone but Nancy, which was shocking in and of itself. I truly hadn't expected that until I was in Briarville and honestly could have waited, but I texted her to say I'd let her know when I got to Briarville. I was disappointed Calin hadn't messaged me. None of the ones I sent returned an error.

Was he mad at me for going without him?

Had the test returned unfavorable?

The bathroom door opened and Islene came back, taking away the opportunity for me to act on my unethical desire to snoop. Since there was no way that I was going to ask, I stood and called Onyx over.

"I'm taking Onyx for a quick walk and will meet you downstairs for breakfast."

Islene grabbed her phone. I watched as she slid it into the pocket of her light black Columbia windbreaker, then flicked my gaze back to her face in time to see her nod. Turning, I grabbed the room key and Onyx's leash with the poop bags attached.

"If you get there first, can I get some toast and jam, please?" I asked and left before she responded.

*****

The house was only a couple of minutes away. As soon as breakfast was finished and Onyx had another quick walk, we'd left. Now, sitting in the car in front of the home my grandparents were killed in, my stomach was swirling. The emotional tsunami that had hit me the day before multiplied tenfold and it took everything in me not to show it.

"Are you ready?" Islene asked.

Pinching my lips, I nodded, hoping she wouldn't make me speak. I could feel her watching me, but I couldn't look away from the one-story character house with a peaked gable roof. I tried to visualize a second floor—or even just a porch—but nothing changed. The stone steps that were a liability without a railing lead to a plain white door framed by a cream-colored stucco exterior. The only feature, if it could be considered that, was a front window on the right.

"It looks quaint."

I swallowed, nodding, and cleared my throat. "Maybe it has a stellar backyard."

Islene laughed. "Not everyone has a big house, Nora."

"No, it's not that." I surveyed the house and front yard again. "It's just... It has no personal touches, you know? No flowers. No... nothing. It's so bland. I can't picture my mom living here."