Chapter Twenty-Five

I sucked in a breath, making the obvious connection to my mother, and my gaze went back to Devland. He looked unmoved, almost disinterested as the questions continued, and I couldn't help but feel as though Islene had landed in the hot seat. Each answer Islene gave triggered another, even more accusatory inquiry. My already flickering temper began to burn brighter. I balled my fists and tried to focus on Onyx, mentally telling myself it wasn't my place to be offended. Since Islene didn't seem to feel concerned, I had to bite my tongue to keep from screaming. Instead, I silently reminded myself not to use magic.

Don't use magic, don't use magic. Don't use magic.

Finally, Devland tilted his head and studied Islene. "I find it odd, Islene, that you haven't had a vision of any of the missing people to date."

Islene lifted her chin. "I've never said I didn't see those who have been missing in the past."

"Then why haven't you shared what you've seen?"

"Perhaps, Devland, I chose to share what I've seen only with people I trust."

"You are a member of this Council. Are you denouncing your role by impeding our ability to help members of our community?"

"On the contrary. I shared the limited information I gleaned with someone who was able to actually help." She smiled. "Unfortunately, that help is no longer available, so anything I learn in such matters will be shared with the Council moving forward. The fact is I did not see anything related to Carter."

"It seems to me that anyone can say they were being helpful when they were in fact trying to thwart suspicion from landing on themselves."

I tensed, unconsciously taking a step forward. Onyx growled, reacting to my response to Devland's elimination of subtlety. She hunched down and crept ahead of me, and her growl drew the attention of all three members of the High Council sitting at the table.

"Onyx, enough," Calin said, barely moving his lips. He came to stand beside me, placing his hand on my forearm.

"Shh, Onyx," I said but the growl continued. I reached down and took hold of Onyx's collar to keep her from moving, but she strained against the confinement. "Onyx."

"Nora, I'm not sure how you got Onyx inside, but pets are not allowed in here," Devland said. "Either restrain her or she will be removed."

I narrowed my eyes on Devland, silently daring him to try remove Onyx from my side. "She obviously doesn't like you and wants to voice her opinion about your obnoxious accusations towards Islene."

"She is being a nuisance."

"Or simply reminding you to use your manners." I smiled and pulled on Onyx's collar while trying to appear like I wasn't having problems commanding her to heel. "Onyx," I said softly. "Sit. Stop. Subsisto."

With the use of Latin, Onyx's growl turned to a higher-pitched whine. She sat and whimpered once more, then looked at me with eyes that pleaded to let her defend Islene. I had to glance away, afraid I would issue a command that retracted the previous one, and then regretted the change of focus when I saw the High Council—those at the table and on the bleachers—staring at me like I'd grown a horn in the middle of my forehead.

"I didn't know you knew Latin, Nora," Devland said, his tone surprised even though his expression didn't change.

"Of course, I do," I said, and smiled, raising my eyebrow. See how much of a dud he thinks I am now. "Mom taught me."

"Well, no wonder the dog never listened to me," he said, then laughed. Turning his attention back to Islene, he lost his humor. "It's been established that your family owns the cabin. Aside from a friend who is no longer with us, you cannot say for certain anyone else knew of the cabin. Why shouldn't the Council suspect the Malloy's regarding the kidnapping of Carter and the disappearance of his magic?"

"Are you kidding me?" I exploded, stepping forward again. "The boy, who is in his early twenties and finishing college, isn't scared to stand beside the Malloy's. He is timid around you, though. Does that mean you have something to do with what's happened?"

"Nora, don't be ridiculous. Of course, he is timid around someone with authority."

"Right. Because I am the problem." I rolled my eyes. "You can't honestly believe that anyone is going to buy into this. Just because they own the cabin doesn't mean they use it. Anyone could have found it and used it for their own purposes."

"Or the Malloy's could want us to think so."

"Well, seeing as you are my biological father and Vavila Fallamhain was my mother, I'm assuming what I say should hold some weight. I mean, my mother's side is a founding family, and I am the last of them. I vouch for the Malloy's, who have been as close to family as I've had since moving to Wickenton." I looked around at the other members of the High Council, then back to Devland. "I hope you don't try to push your unfounded beliefs because I will fight it. I will push back."

"Nora—"

"Then again, maybe it would be interesting for you to try. You have a tendency to blame people for things based on theories, and I have already fixed your issues once. Even if Islene had a vision, it doesn't mean she's responsible for what happened. It simply means that she knows when sharing something with the wrong people isn't beneficial to the parties involved. What would you have done if she'd told you? Nothing? Because that's exactly what you did when you allowed the school to blame me for pulling pranks that hurt others or when you bound Maible's abilities without her knowledge—or consent—to hide the fact that you are her father. That's why my mother didn't want me to know you and left, I'm sure. I mean, all you've done is try to lay blame. Aside from saying Carter should be checked out, you haven't actually seen to it that he's okay. That's what really matters right now. You should allow him to leave and come back when it's convenient for him, and not the other way around."

"We are worried about the boy's well being, Nora."

I snorted at Devland and hoped nobody else mistook his tone as sincere. Nobody called me out for being what could be construed as disrespectful, but I was sure that they were just as happy as I was that I was able to reign in the desire to showcase my magic. Instead, I let my tongue be my weapon to lash Devland, though he didn't seem at all fazed. "Doubtful."

The man on Devland's right cleared his throat. "It's true. We are worried about the effects of what's happened to the boy. But, seeing as though he is obviously not in need of immediate medical assistance, we have more urgent matters to be concerned about right now."

"What's wrong?" Islene stepped forward, her brow furrowed.

The three members sitting at the table looked at Islene, their expressions grave. This time, Colt spoke, the deepness of his voice adding to the graveness of his words. "The line of questioning is important because another boy was reported missing today."

"