Chapter Nineteen

For some reason I couldn't pinpoint, I started to feel antsy as Calin lead me out of the bedroom. We made our way downstairs and, just as I was putting on my shoes, Islene came in through the front door. With her head bent, she was obviously preoccupied with her own thoughts and nearly bumped into us.

"Oh!" Islene jumped and brought her hand to cover her mouth. With a shake of her head and a deep exhale, she relaxed. "I didn't even see you!"

Calin laughed. I finished tying my shoelaces and stood to face Islene.

"Nora." She smiled wide as her gaze shifted from Calin to me. "Did Calin tell you we'll leave the day after tomorrow?"

"Yes. We're uh... going hiking today."

"Well, your homeschooling is all set up."

"Devland didn't put up a fight?"

Islene chuckled. "It wasn't anything I couldn't handle. The only thing I couldn't do was get your supplies from your locker, so you'll have to go by the school before we leave."

"Okay." I pressed my lips together but nodded. Grimas had never been my favorite place. Hopefully, I would be able to time it so I was there before or after hours, or while everyone else was in class. I hated the stares and dreaded running into Maible.

"You ready?" Calin asked. He nodded to the front door and then smiled to Islene. "We'll be back late, Mom."

"Are you going to the clearing?"

"No. The other direction."

"By the cabin?"

Calin shrugged. "I don't know. Probably at some point."

"I'll expect you to check in, especially if it gets too late to come home." Islene glanced from Calin to me. "Both of you."

I barely had a chance to nod in agreement. Calin put his hand on the small of my back to guide me out the door, and I walked faster to get far enough ahead so that I was just out of his reach. The reaction my body had to him confused my mind. Until the test proved one right, I had to avoid touching him even if I wasn't smart enough to avoid spending time with him.

"So, we're going to a cabin?" I asked, laughing as Onyx rushed ahead, stopping to turn circles and then roll in the grass. I called her, making kissing noises. Onyx whined but ran over to jump in the car when I opened the passenger door. She perched in the backseat and I got in the front.

"Perhaps, if we have time." He buckled his seatbelt, started the car, and quickly navigated out of the long driveway onto the street.

It didn't take long to reach the outskirts. The jumpiness that started before leaving grew, and I was stuck between feeling half-excited and half-wary. We drove out of Wickenton in the opposite direction of the clearing. I'd never been past the library.

"Where are we going?" I asked, voicing my curiosity.

"Hiking."

I watched out the passenger window as we approached the library and then sped past. The sun was bright and high, the sky littered with few wisps of clouds to block its heat. The air conditioning in the car was on even though snow littered the ground, oddly keeping the temperature comfortable. Hopefully, it wasn't too warm—hiking wasn't fun when it was—and Calin brought enough water. I'd brought one bottle, which I'd give to Onyx before taking it for myself.

"Stop overthinking," Calin said.

"You can't even see me."

"I don't have to."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, whatever. If you won't say where we're going, can you tell me how long it takes to get there?"

"Nope."