Chapter Eleven

"I live here," Maible said.

"So what? I wouldn't admit that, if I were you." I crossed my arms, hoping to appear nonchalant. Had she snooped through my things? "You stay in my room?"

"Yeah, right." Maible rolled her eyes. "I heard a noise. My room is across the hallway."

"Weren't you going with Devland this morning for a tour or something?"

"Plans change."

I snorted and bent my head to zip up my bag, then flip the flap over. Letting go, the bag hung to rest on my hip, the strap crossing my chest. Shifting my weight, I looked up, lifting my chin. "I thought you were so excited to get a tour of the Council's chamber." I rolled my eyes, adding, "From its leader, no less."

"We're going tomorrow instead."

"So what? Something came up? And Devland is okay with you missing two days of school to wait until he's free? I thought he charms you, but I didn't know you had become a lap dog."

"What? I am ahead in all my classes."

I tilted my head. "It's not a competition, Maible."

Maible's eyes narrowed on me, but she didn't respond. She was in my room and insulting my intelligence. Feeling defensive, I shifted my stance and crossed my arms. Glaring in response, I didn't even feel bad anymore. I helped her. If I hadn't, Maible would still believe she couldn't practice the Craft, and her parentage would still be a secret. But... on the flip side, I was the reason she discovered it, so it was my fault she now wanted to get to know Devland. I couldn't figure out why she hated me so much.

Was it any wonder you can pave the road to hell with good intentions?

What then made me capable of determining who should face consequences? Or--even more confusing--what those consequences should be.

"Look, I don't know what your problem is. I'm here to get a few more of my things so I don't have to come around anymore," I said finally, sighing.

"So you aren't coming back?"

"No." I shook my head and started forward, passing her to cross into the sitting room.

"Why?"

"Why would I?"

"Devland is the leader of the High Council, Nora. Why wouldn't you want to learn from him?"

"You know why."

"I know that your mom died and that made you so sad, you can't even give him a chance to be a father to you."

"Like he was to you? You were right here, Maible. In Wickenton!" Pausing a meter from the door leading into the hallway, I turned to face Maible. "Why are you here? You know Devland isn't a good guy. He knew you existed your whole life and, instead of being a father, he bound you. Our father took away your choice to do exactly what he tried forcing me to do—both against both our will, I might add. Why would you want to live with him? What's so wrong about the father that raised you that you can't live with your actual family?"

"Are you jealous now?"

"No! God. You... don't get it. Devland is not good!"

"I can't go home! Okay? Happy?" Maible leaned in to yell in my face, then fell back to rest her weight on her heels. "My father left my mother and took the kids. I don't have a home; I have a mother who mopes around and cries. You may have helped me access my powers, Nora, but it's your fault that everything came to light. You broke up my family, so now I am going to take the opportunity to build a new one."