Chapter Fourteen

"When you said you wanted to go for a drive, I didn't think you meant to my mother's house." I looked out the passenger window at the building, then turned to look at Islene in the driver's seat. "I know Zach told me to start here, but I don't understand why. I've already been here. What am I missing?"

"You've only been to the library and the secret room Calin showed you."

"So?"

"It's a two-story home, Nora."

"No, it's—" I looked back and the one-story building was in fact two stories. I blinked and it didn't disappear. With a shake of my head, I turned back to Islene and spoke slowly, "Okay?"

"Come on." Islene unbuckled her seatbelt and opened her door. "Calin only showed you what he knew existed. To everyone but your mothers' blood relatives and me, it appears as a one-story structure."

"Why?"

"Your mother gifted the library to the town, but she still owned the house, and the upstairs is still a home. Your home."

I hurried to unbuckle my seat belt to follow when Islene closed her door rather than stay in the car alone. Catching up to her as we walked to the front door, I asked, "Why is it hidden?"

She shrugged. "Your grandparents did it, and your mom was never able to breach the barrier to allow anyone else entry. For protection, I'm guessing. Nobody can hurt you—or even know you exist—if they can't see that you are there. Before your mother moved to Briarville, she used to come here a lot to be alone."

"Like I do with my clearing."

"Oh, she liked it there too, but it's somewhere people can find you."

"If you knew about this place, you could find her here."

"No." Islene shook her head and took out a set of keys when we reached the front door.

"Why?"

"You'll see."

"What?"

"I don't know," she said as we entered. She went to an alarm panel and entered a code, and then flicked the switch to bathe us in lights. Turning to face me, she shrugged. "I can't see it."

"See what?"

"Access to the second floor. Come on."

Islene waved for me to follow her, and I looked around as we moved. We passed the library on our left, the desk on the right. Islene walked by the secret door opposite the entryway, turning right at the T of the hallway. At the end of the hall, there was another room filled with bookshelves and a seating area on the right. It was like an alcove hidden away.

Islene stopped at the entrance to the room and then turned, pointing at the wall across from it. "There."

"Islene, it's the end of a corridor."

"There is a doorway here, actually, and you are the only one who can see it."

"How do you know it's there?"

"Your mother told me." She shrugged, though I held to the fact that seeing was believing.

With a sigh, I looked back to where she indicated. "I don't see—"

I cut myself off as my vision blurred. It was like knowing there was a doorway allowed me to imagine one into reality. I sucked in a breath and took a step back. I couldn't not believe what I now saw. Could I?

"How?" I looked at Islene.

She shrugged. "Magic."

"But I didn't do anything."