Chapter Fifty-Five

Before long, I shook in Calin's arms.

Without the heat I visualized, the chill drove us apart. Being this close—so in tune with him—made it impossible for me to recreate the warmth that had sheltered us before we touched, and the heat of our embrace couldn't stave off hypothermia. Already, the cold mixed with the pressure of Calin's kisses made me feel as though my lips had frostbite.

I loosened the muscles in my legs and used his shoulders to push myself away, abruptly ending our kiss. My lips trembled, though I couldn't be certain of the cause. I spread my arms out and swam backward until I was a couple of arm lengths away. This time, as my torso entered the water again, I sucked in a breath, the cold nearly stealing it away.

"I—you." Calin looked down, collecting his thoughts, then looked at me. "That's..."

"G-great?" I bit my bottom lip to keep it from moving.

Calin narrowed his eyes. "Your lips are blue."

Nodding, I said, "Pr-prob-ab-ly."

"Why didn't you stop?" he exclaimed and hurried to stand. Turning, he started up the stairs, calling over his shoulder, "Come on. Get out. We need to get you warmed up."

"I'll... b-be... o-ka... ee."

Calin nudged Onyx off my towel and robe. He quickly grabbed them and came back to the edge of the pool, swinging the towel to hang over his shoulder as he held the robe out. "No. You're not okay, Nora. You're shivering and your lips are blue. Get out of the pool."

"Just give me a minute to cool down and I'll be able to warm up again."

"Stop being stubborn. Onyx kept your things warm, so hurry," he said. "Whether you're in the pool or out, this is probably the fastest way to feel better."

I tilted my head and studied Calin. After a few seconds, his logic made sense, though being exposed while getting out was worse than staying in. Still, the robe was right there, and Onyx's warmth wouldn't last. If I stayed in the pool, I had no guarantee I would warm up—freezing was just as distracting as Calin's kisses—and I wanted to feel good now.

"F-fine." I made my way to the stairs, crouching to keep the water at my neck until the last possible second. "S-t-top laa-fing at m-m-mmme."

Calin pressed his lips together, though I could still his shoulders moving, and rolled my eyes. At the bottom step, I sighed, sucked in a deep breath, then stood. Calin held my robe up and open, and I ran up, nearly diving into the warmth. Dancing on my toes, I twirled to get my arms in and then faced him, pulling the flaps closed and tying it tight so it felt like a cocoon. Taking the towel, I bent my head to flip my hair and towel-dried it. When it stopped dripping, I wrapped the towel around my head and stood straight, tucking the end in at my nape.

"Better?"

"No." I stuck out my lip. "I'm c-cold."

Calin rubbed his hands up and down my arms, then pulled me in, clasping his hands at the small of my back. A second later, he started stroking my back.

"Aren't you c-cold?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Go inside?"

Calin's arms tightened. He bent his head, planting a quick kiss on my lips, then stepped to my side, keeping one arm around my waist. He nudged me toward the house. I pulled the robe tight, clasping the lapels to keep the air from my skin, and let him guide me.

"Want company?" Calin asked when we reached my bedroom door.

"Hmm, no." I smiled and shook my head, finally feeling the chill begin to fade. "I think... no. I'm good."