Chapter Forty-Two

On the top step, I sat with my legs spread in front of me and my back against the metal pole. From this angle, I could see the school and the street perfectly. Since Islene was my guardian and we'd be here a while, I debated asking her to see if she could transfer me in so I could graduate with my friends. With how supportive she was, I could see it happening but, even if we were here a month, it wasn't enough time.

Tilting my head, I stared at the sky.

It was too bad I hadn't accepted things before and pulled pranks—harmless, clean ones—with Nancy. Had she done some anyway? With what Duvessa did, I felt like I was yanked into a dream to experience everything I would've, only twisted from reality.

If only I could discover everything as easily as I'd gained control after my mom died.

With a sigh, I forced myself to stand and shuffled back to the car. Though a half hour was more than enough time to get there, I wanted to arrive early so I could choose where to sit. That way, if I didn't like whatever reason Trevor had been in Wickenton—why he'd watched me and wouldn't say at the party—I could leave.

Finding somewhere to park wasn't hard, though it hid the fact that I arrived during lunch hour. The line extended to the door, though most ordering were taking their food to go, and a few tables remained free. There wasn't much to choose from but thankfully a lot of people seemed to want to be away from the foot traffic near the door.

I ordered a latte and sat at the table next to the entrance. It was closer than I preferred but the next best option was across the room, which would hinder any attempt I'd have to escape.

My stomach grumbled, reacting to the smell of food and reminded me I hadn't bothered to have breakfast. Getting up, I went to order a snack but paused as the people at the table next to me left. It was only one table over but provided more privacy while still being close to the door. I draped my jacket over the chair and then went back to the counter for a yogurt parfait with granola and berries. As I turned to head back, I nearly ran right into Trevor.

"Nora!" He smiled. "You came." He glanced around. "Do you mind if I order before we find a seat?"

"I have one." I pointed to my table. "I'll meet you there."

"Do you want anything else?"

"Nope. Got my French Vanilla and food."

Nodding, Trevor smiled again and brushed past me so he could place his order. I went back to the table and sat. With some extra napkins, I dabbed some of the sanitizer I kept in my bag on the table and wiped it down. By the time Trevor returned, I was digging into my parfait and nearly finished my drink.

"Wow." Trevor sat across from me and set down a coffee and a breakfast sandwich. "I thought you'd be too hung over to show up, never mind eat healthy."

"I didn't drink too much."

"No, but you drank it quickly, which is never a good idea in my experience," he said. Looking down, he opened the tab on the lid of his coffee, then glanced up and smiled. "I, for one, needed greasy."

"Well, I need a refill." I scooped up the last of my yogurt and took the bite as I wadded up my napkin.

"Here. Let me." Trevor took my garbage and stood. "What do you want?"

"I can get it."

"I asked you to come, so it's my treat."

"French Vanilla." I sighed, then shook my head. "Half coffee. Too much of a good thing will probably upset my stomach."

Nodding, Trevor turned to go back to the counter, pausing to discard the trash. I hoped he didn't see this as a date. I wasn't sure if I'd been clear of that at the end of our conversation. Instead of dwelling on it, I chose to believe he wouldn't do that to his girlfriend, Julia.