Chapter Sixteen

After stuffing the book I'd found into my bag, I ran past Calin without speaking another word. My thoughts became jumbled. Related. I kissed someone I'm related to! How could I have not known? My stomach threatened me again. I tried to keep the nausea at bay with one hand on my stomach and another pressed against the wall.

"Islene!" I screamed as I opened the main door and stomped down the steps leading to the first floor. "Islene!"

I pulled the door open and almost ran into Islene, who must have come as she heard me—or the elephant sound of my stomping. Gasping, I held onto the doorframe with one hand and the open door with the other. Her brows furrowed as she looked me over.

"What happened, Nora?"

"I—he..." I shook my head, still out of breath.

The door at the top of the stairs opened, revealing Calin, and I turned my head away fast.

"Mom."

I exhaled and stood tall, letting go of the door. As Calin descended the stairs, I squeezed by Islene to keep space between us distant. The beat of my heart pounded in my ears. Everything else was twitchy like I was suffering the effects of withdrawal. I pressed my back against the wall outside the entrance to the reading alcove. Was it was holding me or I was trying to hold it? I couldn't tell.

"What's going on?" Islene darted her eyes between us, finally letting her gaze rest on Calin. "What did you do? How did you sneak by me?"

"Me?" Calin reached the bottom landing and pointed his finger to his chest. "I didn't do anything except check on how Nora was doing, and she freaked out."

Islene turned to me and raised her eyebrow.

"Do not blame me for this!" I said, finally catching enough breath to speak. "You're the one who was able to go inside." I looked from Calin to Islene. "Did you know?"

"Know what?"

"Calin came inside my mother's home, Islene!" I lifted my hands and let them fall back against my legs. "You can't even go inside, and you were her best friend! How did he know the door was even there?"

"Oh!" Islene's eyes widened. "Oh. No. I don't know..." She shook her head. "It isn't possible, Nora. Your mother is your mother and your father... Well, he's an ass, but he's still your father, and I'm certain Calin is my son and Nolyn is his father."

"So? Being related doesn't mean we're siblings."

"We aren't related!" Calin exclaimed.

"Well, technically... If you look far enough back on anyone's family tree, you'll find we are all related to one another in some way."

"Mom." Calin glared at Islene, and I gasped.

She's right. We all could be. Outside of the magical community, it was a possibility that you could fall for a relative. The magical community was so small, it'd be reasonable to think of everyone as connected. It's surprising we weren't deformed. There must be incestuous relations going on.

"Nora, don't be silly," Islene said, and laughed. "I was joking. You and Calin are not related. I promise."

"How do you know?"

"I do." She shrugged.

"But.... No." I shook my head. "I can't believe it. Calin came upstairs. My mother couldn't even manipulate the barrier you said my grandparents made to bring you up. The only way that he could have done it is if we're related."

Islene sighed. "Calin would have to be from your mother's side, Nora, and you have to trust me when I tell you that that isn't even possible."

"Anything is possible, Islene."

"No. Your mother's side of your family is matriarchal. No generation has ever given birth to a boy."

"Prove it."

Islene blinked at me. "Excuse me?"

"Prove it," I repeated. "In case you haven't realized it, I know very little about my mother's family. I mean, you showed me this place. She could have told you that because she didn't know any better. It might not be true."

"I wouldn't lie."

"I didn't say you would, only that you are repeating what my mother said."

Islene sighed. "Well, I'm sure there is a spell that could tell us—"

"No!" I shook my head. "I don't want you to prove it with magic. I want a test. Science can prove that we aren't related."

"That can take weeks, Nora," Calin said, sounding annoyed.

I raised my chin and, finally feeling like I could stand, pushed off the wall. "So? We were friends before, right? If we're related, that is all we'll ever be. If not, then it's worth the wait, isn't it?"

"I..." Calin shook his head and looked to Islene for help.

"Of course, it is," she said. "I'll ask Nolyn to find someone to come to the house. We'll get you the test, Nora."

"Thank you." I nodded once, then looked at the floor.

"How did you know to go up there?"

"I saw my mom and the door, and..." He shrugged. "I assumed you were in there and didn't want to interrupt her. I've never come down this hallway."

My breathing had calmed but it still felt like I had ants crawling through my veins. If we're related... God, I hoped it wasn't true. How would I ever fix things if I couldn't rely on him for my calm?

"Obviously, this is something we have to answer, but won't find that out here. Why don't we head back and call it a night?" Islene asked.

"I'll go with Islene," I said. Without waiting for a response, I turned on my heel. I headed down the hall, taking the left at the T to exit through the front door.

I picked up my pace, their whispers floating through the air to reach me. I didn't want to know what they said. If we're related... Oh, God. We had come so close to going too far in the clearing. Shuddering, I hurried outside and hopped down the steps. By the time Islene and Calin appeared, I was leaning against the passenger side of Islene's car. They looked at me, then each other, but nobody said another word.

 They looked at me, then each other, but nobody said another word