Chapter Fifty-Two

Anticipating what I needed was Calin's specialty, though this time his surprise wasn't anything but what I'd asked for. He packed a bag with books, and we went downstairs where he added snacks. Onyx stayed at my side and Calin grabbed the plaid blanket I'd been keeping by the back door.

I kept pace until we were on the deck, then my stamina began to wane.

"Maybe this wasn't a great idea," I said, and paused to catch my breath on the bottom tier. It was frustrating not being able to walk a short distance, and I wondered how long it'd be until I could run. Not that I'd do it alone, given that I couldn't manage to be by myself in my own room. An open space was obviously out of the question.

Calin stopped on the bottom step and turned to face me. He looked me over and grinned. I felt hurt for a moment, thinking he was laughing at me. Then Calin backtracked until he was at my side.

"Here," he said, slipping his bag off his back. He handed it to me but, when I didn't take it, he turned me to put the straps over my arms, the bag resting on my back. "Come on."

Calin took my hand and guided me to the steps, then let go. He gestured for me to stop and went down to the grass level. Turning to look at me over his shoulder, Calin grinned.

"Hop on."

"What?"

"Piggyback ride."

"All the way to the clearing?"

He shrugged. "It's probably easier than throwing you over my shoulder, but I'm willing to do that too."

The self-conscious part of me didn't want to see Calin overexert himself with my weight while the practical side admitted it was a better option than exhausting myself. Self-preservation—and the fact that it wasn't the first time—won. I stepped down, using the railing as support. When I reached the bottom step, Calin moved back until he was flush against me.

Awareness flamed within me. I pushed it down and wrapped my arms around his neck, the plaid blanket in my hand loosening to drape his front. From there, I barely had to jump. I lifted a leg for Calin to hold, then lifted the other.

"Ready?" he asked.

Without waiting, he moved forward a few paces, then began to run. Calin sprinted forward twenty steps. The bag thudded up and down on my back. He slowed for ten paces, then sped up again.

When we reached the path to the clearing, we were laughing and out of breath. The air, crisp and cool, stroked my face, making me feel refreshed. I pat Calin's shoulder.

"Let me down." I wiggled in his arms. "The path isn't wide enough for my legs to stick out like this."

Calin kept his arms locked around my thighs. "You're fine."

I kept wiggling and tried pushing against him. "I can walk the rest of the way."

"You're sure?" Calin paused.

"A hundred percent."

He let go of my legs. I slid down his back until my feet touched the ground, then stepped away. Calin faced me and turned his finger in the air. I furrowed my brow, confused.

"Give me the bag," he said, then turned me by my shoulders to get it for himself.

"I'm not that weak. It's not even heavy." I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see my face, but didn't stop him.

"Humor me."

"I'm keeping the blanket." I faced him once the bag was off, and Calin nodded, his eyes appraising me.