Part 49

Hallie's POV
It had been a few weeks since I started work at The Alcove- and I was actually enjoying it.

I worked there between 25-30 hours a week, however much Gray needed me. I think that the fact that they were my boss is what made me comfortable coming to work. Gray was a very understanding, helpful, and fun person to work with.

While I mostly helped Gray with the pastries, I sometimes helped at the register when customers ordered.

On this particular day in the first week of August, I was helping out behind the resister. It was a Tuesday afternoon, so we weren't super busy. Gray was making the drinks as I took the orders.

A girl who looked around my age with long, wavy red hair and glasses stepped up to order.

"Hi! What can I get for you today?" I said to the girl.

She gave me a small smile and said, "What do you suggest?"

"Well, it depends on what flavors you like." I said, "Some of my favorites personally are the French vanilla latte with almond milk. The hazelnut latte with oat milk is super popular. All the syrups are homemade."

"Hmm..I'll try the French vanilla one." the girl said, "I'm sure you have good taste."

Is she flirting with me?

"It's definitely very good." I said, "What is your name?" I then reached for a marker to write her name on the cup.

"Clarissa." she said, "What's yours?"

"Oh, um- Hallie." I said, "That'll be $4.79."

Clarissa paid, and then she said to me, bold as hell, "Can I give you my number, Hallie?"

"Oh! Uh, that's very kind of you. But I have a girlfriend." I said.

Thankfully, Clarissa was respectful about it. "Lucky girl!" she said, "Thank you, Hallie."

After Clarissa left with her coffee, Gray turned to me,  chuckling.

"Was this your first experience here with someone trying to get your number?" they asked.

"Yes, it has been." I said, "I mean, it's flattering. But I would never."

"That's because you have a girlfriend that you love." Gray said, "You had no hesitation to turn her down."

"There's no other girl that I could ever want besides Alina." I said.

"You two definitely have something special." Gray said, "I hope I find that someday."

"You will!" I said to Gray, "It'll happen when you least expect it."

When I got back home, Alina was about to leave for work. She had on her dark blue scrubs, her blonde hair up in a ponytail.

I love it when she wears scrubs.

"Hey!" she said, "How was work today?"

"It was good." I said, "Something kind of weird happened though."

Alina turned and looked at me with concern, " Is everything okay?"