Part 4

The next morning Victoria had her interview- and afterwards she picked me up from her house so we could go back to campus.

I hoped to see Hallie before I left- but she was no were to be found.

She hasn't texted me yet. She's probably asleep.

When I got into Victoria's car, she was smiling.

"So I take it the interview went well?" I asked her, "You're not crying."

"It definitely went well." Victoria said, "They seemed super interested in me, and they said they would strongly consider offering me a job- even before graduation next month."

"That's wonderful!" I leaned over and gave Victoria a hug, "They will be lucky to have you."

"Thanks." Victoria smiled at me, and started her car. She then said, "I thought maybe I should go say bye to Hallie. But she's probably not even up yet."

"It's close to noon." I said, "Does she sleep that late?"

Victoria nodded, "She stays up until like 5 am. So it makes sense."

I decided to tread lightly as I said, "I went downstairs a little past 2 am for some water. I saw her there grabbing food."

"She's always been a late night snacker." Victoria said, "Did she acknowledge you?"

Yes. She showed me her room. Well- don't say that, Alina.

"Yes." I said, "To be honest, she seems sweet."

Victoria gave me a look as she drove. "Don't even think about it."

"I'm not!" I said, "Not even a little bit."

"Good." Victoria nodded, "Like I said before- she's not exactly a walk in the park. And you're not exactly Princess charming."

Ouch. Why did that kind of hurt?

I masked it with a laugh. "You're right." I said, "I know you are."

I made up my mind as Victoria drove us back to campus.

If Hallie texted me, I was going to tell her that I couldn't talk to her. I had to nip this in the bud before it even began.

I was doing some homework in the dorm a couple of hours later- and Victoria was working out.

My phone vibrated, and I looked down to see a number I didn't recognize.

Is that Hallie?

The text read: Hey, it's Hallie :)

Guess it is.

I took a deep breath before I texted her back. I felt really bad doing this- which I usually never did. I didn't want to tell Hallie I couldn't text her.

But I couldn't do this to Victoria. And she was right.

So I sent: Hallie, I'm really sorry. I can't start talking to you behind Victoria's back. I hope you understand. Again, I'm sorry.

I felt my heart pound as I waited for a response. I for one a couple of minutes later. It said:

I understand- it's probably for the best. Thanks for being honest.

I wanted to text Hallie again. Tell her that I wanted to continue talking to her. That I wanted to get to know her. See why she was so misunderstood.

But instead I came to the conclusion in my mind that I wouldn't see her again. Or talk to her.

Boy...was I wrong.

Graduation day came a little over a month later.

I would be graduating with my degree in Biology. And I had no idea what I would be doing next besides moving in with my brother, Felix, and his wife, Cora.

They would be the only two people at my graduation as well. Not that I minded- I didn't need my parents there. I didn't want them there.

It felt surreal when my name was called and I walked up on the stage to grab my diploma.

I really didn't think I would get here. Ever.

As I walked down from the stage, I looked up to the clear Spring sky.

I hope you're proud, Jocelyn. The one thing you always did encourage me about is college.

I felt a lump form in my throat, but blinked back tears as Felix and Cora came running over to me.

"Congratulations!" Cora enveloped me in a hug. Per usual, she smelled amazing- like honey and jasmine and flowers. "I am so proud of you, sister."

"Thank you." I pulled away and smiled at my sister in law.

My brother gave me a big hug too. Felix is 27 years old, and works as a Lawyer.

"Congrats. Now we just have to figure out what you should do with your life." Felix said.

"Hey, she doesn't have to figure it out today." Cora said, and then she turned to me, "But we will figure it out. Don't you worry."

How stupid my parents are that they won't speak to Cora and Felix- just because of the color of her skin. She is such a light in our lives.

I felt my phone vibrate, and saw a text from Victoria. She told me exactly where she was with her family- and wanted Felix and Cora to come over with me so she could meet them.

A thought dawned upon me.

Will Hallie be there?

I had thought about her in passing quite a few times since I last spoke to her. More than I had with any other girl in a long time.

"I want you to meet Victoria." I said to Felix and Cora, "Come with me."

We walked over to where Victoria was with her parents- plus her sister, Leah. And Hallie.

Hallie looked at me immediately when I walked over- and my eyes met hers.

Once again, I felt my heart skip a beat. And my stomach fill with butterflies.

Victoria ran over and gave me a hug.

"We did it!" she said, "We fucking did it!"

She then greeted Felix and Victoria warmly, and she introduced her family to them as well.

I then heard a voice next to me say softly, "Congratulations, Alina."

I turned to see Hallie next to me. She looked very pretty in a black sundress, her hair was in a ponytail- and it was half black and half pink now rather than red.

"Thank you." I gave Hallie a soft smile.

"Alina, what are you doing after this?" Victoria asked me, breaking up the moment between Hallie and I.

"Felix and Cora were going to take me to dinner. Why?" I asked.

"Come over later for a graduation bonfire!" Victoria said, "I know it's a bit of a drive, but you can stay over. I'll drive you home tomorrow."

I looked at Felix. "Would you be willing to take me to Victoria's after dinner?"

Felix looked at Victoria. "Will you be making s'mores at this bonfire?"

"Of course." Victoria nodded.

"Only if you make me a s'more, will I drop Alina off." Felix said, and Cora barked a laugh.

"Deal." Victoria laughed as well. She then looked at me. "Yay! This is going to be so fun."

I smiled at Victoria, but then Hallie caught my eye again.

I guess I'll be seeing her too.

This isn't over...is it?