54: Goodbye

Heroes - Peter Gabriel

❝Though nothing will keep us together

We can beat them

Forever and ever❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
GOODBYE
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

ONE MONTH LATER

Gwen sits next to Dustin, helping him fold the final box of clothes, while Max and Lucas make fun of the song Dustin had sung with his girlfriend during the mall fight. Apparently it had been broadcasted to everyone who had walkies.

"Turn around, look at what you see. In her face, the mirror of your dreams," They smile towards Dustin. "Rhymes that keep their secrets, will unfold behind the clouds."

"Wait, did we get that verse right?," Max asks. "It's 'unfold behind the clouds'?"

"Yeah, but you're butchering it, so could you please just stop?" Dustin deadpans, already in a sour mood.

"So then join in, Dusty-bun," Lucas teases, blowing him a kiss.

"Yeah, come on, Dusty-bun, why don't you join us?" Max teases.

Dustin rolls his eyes. "You guys are so funny, you should be on Carson."

"Can't we just hear your rendition?" Max asks.

"No."

"Please? Just one verse?"

"No. No way," Dustin snaps. "It's reserved for Suzie's ears and Suzie's ears alone."

Lucas and Max look at each other with matching smirks before breaking out into song once more, snapping and dancing along with their singing.

Gwen can't take it anymore- the laughing, the smiling, the joking- so, she silently stands up, and shuffles past Joyce and through the hallway before getting into the bathroom and closing the door.

Gwen leans her hands on the sink counter and ducks her head with a heavy sigh, trying to get control of herself. It's not Max and Lucas' fault that they're in good spirits, but it just doesn't feel right to Gwen.

She's been staying with Steve for the past month, and it's been helping little by little. He's been amazing while helping Gwen grieve in a healthy way, and she couldn't be more thankful for him. He constantly reminds her that he's there while not being overbearing, he makes sure that she's eating and showering by doing it with her, and even takes her on walks around his neighborhood everyday to get fresh air. Through Steve's help, the feeling of numbness has slowly started to wither away, but that means all of the sadness is starting to creep back in.