58

Silas Montgomery

I sat and held Evie as she buried her head in my chest. Liv stayed with the kids , so it's just me , Evie, and Scott.

Silas - he's gonna be alright baby

Evie didn't say a word , she just held onto me tighter , almost as if she let go, I would disappear.

The doctor came out of the room and she didn't look too happy.

Doctor - I'm sorry, we've done all we could but the infection spread to his heart and lungs.

Evie - what? No. That's not right.

Doctor - Mrs. Montgomery , we tried everything and he flatlined.

Evie kept shaking her head no.

Evie - he's not dead, I refuse to believe he's dead.

She wiped her tears.

Doctor - if you would like to see him, you're welcome to

Scott stood up and grabbed Evie's arm.

Evie - Scott stop it

Scott - you need to see him

Evie - no I don't because dad isn't dead. That's an entirely different person on that table in here, not him

Scott - Geneviève get up

Silas - leave her alone. She doesn't have to see him if she doesn't want to.

Scott walked off.

Evie - can we go?

Silas - go where?

Evie - I don't know but I don't want to go home.

Silas - okay.

I looked at Evie and she was looking out the window.

I placed my hand on her knee.

.............

I stopped at the park and Evie got out the car. I followed her.

I know she's hurting so I won't say anything , the most I can do is just be there for her.

Evie  hugged me right

When the doctor said Mike died, I could see the light drain from Evie's eyes and  she shut down.

...................

We got back home and Evie kissed the girls good night and went to bed. 

Scott - she says she's fine but she's not. So keeps eye for her for the baby's sake.

I nodded.

I  went upstairs to her room and saw her sleeping. I kissed her forehead

I hope she understands that she's not alone at all and I'm here for her through all of this .