48. Climax

That Same Night
5:40 PM
Melody POV

Why was it that it seemed like whenever I took two steps forward, I had to take five steps back? Whenever I felt happy, something had to come along and ruin it? It was always something. Why couldn't whoever was writing my story shift the action back to Serenity or something?

I stood there for a moment, my mind trying to catch up with what had happened. I needed to go after Navya. I needed to go after Josh. I couldn't go after them both at the same time. I also couldn't stand there either.

I quickly ran out of the room, and down the hall towards the front doors. There was no way that both of them would've stayed in the school. I could catch somebody.

As I ran outside, I saw Navya moving swiftly towards her car.

"Navya!!" I yelled, running to catch up with her.

"Leave me alone Melody," I heard her say. It sounded like she was crying. Dammit. I ran up to her and grabbed her, but she quickly snatched away, turning to me. "Leave me alone!!" She yelled, tears running down her face. "You did enough!! We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for you," Navya yelled, shoving me. I didn't say anything, not wanting to make this worse. It was already so, so bad.

"I'm sorry," I told her weakly. I didn't know what else to say. What could be said? She sniffled, wiping her face.

"Sorry doesn't get my secret back," Her voice cracked, and without another word, she got in her car. I moved out the way, not risking her running me over and she sped out the parking lot, out of eyesight. I folded my hands behind my head, taking calming breaths. What the fuck was I going to do? How could I fix this? I couldn't fix this. Fuck, I needed to find Josh.

Ignoring the way my chest was tightening, I turned to head back into the school. Just my luck, Josh was walking out. He was shaking his head and he looked so betrayed. The guilt hit me like a ton of bricks. I swallowed the lump in my throat, jogging towards him.

"Josh!!" I yelled. He looked at me and the betrayal quickly morphed into anger. He did stop though. I got up to him. "I wanted to tell you, I did-"

"But you didn't," He laughed angrily. "You didn't. For God knows how long, you've been running around behind my back with my ex!!" I forced myself to not flinch at his yell. "You lied to me and..." He looked off sadly. "I don't care that it was Navya. But you could've told me. We're supposed to be best friends."

"We are best friends," I told him, but he shook his head. My heart dropped. I started to try to explain myself. "She's afraid to come out. Her parents might kick her out or do something insane. I wanted to tell you Josh."

"How long has this been going on?" He asked, looking like he was coming to a realization. "Since you asked me if you would be mad if somebody dated her? Or before that?" I pursed my lips. That seemed to tell Josh what he needed to know. He laughed angrily again, putting his hands behind his head, and walking around in a circle. "What the fuck Melody?" He threw his hands up. "How long?" I looked down at the ground.

"We slept together at Zack's party last year." I heard him take a sharp breath.

"You've been lying to me since last April?"

"We weren't friends then," I said, and why the fuck did I let that slip out? Another angry laugh came from him.

"So what, did you do it to get back at me?" He asked. When I didn't answer, his eyes widened in disbelief. "You did."