18. Adorn

September 2nd, 2008
5:13 PM
MJ POV

2008 had been a great year for me. I had won a grammy, started my own international tour, put my issues with Chris Brown to rest when we were on the 'Glow in the Dark' tour with Kanye West and N.E.R.D for the month of May, celebrated one year of Because of You, released two singles, started writing material for a new album, got my own apartment, and celebrated two years with Jade.

There was still more to come too. Later in the month, I would be Auntie Jan's opening act for the Vegas and San Diego dates of her 'Rock Witchu' tour, then I would be going off and finishing the last of my tour dates until Thanksgiving.

But before that, I hoped to do one thing that would make my year go from great to amazing.

"MJ!!" Ms. Kim grinned as she opened the front door for me. "Long time no see." I laughed, giving her a hug.

"I know," I said as we let go. "I've been so busy."

"I see, superstar." I smiled. "Come in." I walked into the house, loving the warm welcoming feeling that it always had. The big portrait in the hallway always caught my eye whenever I came over and I stopped, admiring it.

It was a portrait of Jade, Ms. Kim, and Jade's father, James, who had died two years before Jade and her mother moved to Los Angeles. Lung cancer was the killer, Jade said her father was an avid cigarette smoker.

"You always stop and look at this," Ms. Kim pointed out.

"It's a nice picture." The three of them had on all black, and their smiles were as wide as the sky. I looked at Ms. Kim, who looked at the picture with a sad look. Then she snapped out of it and looked at me.

"So what brings you over here without my daughter?" Ms. Kim asked, walking into the living room. I followed, nervous to tell her what I wanted. She sat on the loveseat and looked at me. I cleared my throat.

"Um... Ms. Kim, I would uh..." I cleared my throat once more as she tilted her head, looking at me. I stood straight. "I would like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage." Ms. Kim's eyes widened and I continued before she could say anything. "I know what you're thinking, we're young, she's only a sophomore in college, and my career just started, but Ms. Kim I want to spend the rest of my life with your daughter. I love her, i'm so in love with her." Ms. Kim continued to stare at me in shock. "Um, if it helps with your decision, we won't get married right away. It'll still be a couple of years down the road." Ms. Kim still didn't say anything and I started to get nervous again. Maybe I should've just omitted this part and skipped straight to Jade.

"Have you two talked about this?" Ms. Kim asked after what felt like an eternity. I nodded. Ms. Kim stared at me for a moment. "She's not pregnant is she?"

"He-" She gave me a look. I shook my head. "No." I wasn't 100 percent sure about my answer, considering I never pulled out and birth control wasn't 100 percent effective, but I was mostly sure.

"Well if you've two already talked about it, and knowing my daughter loves you as much as you love her, then who am I to say no?" I broke out into a grin and Ms. Kim stood up, walking over to me. "It'll be nice to have you as my son in law, in a few years."

"Thank you!!" I hugged her and she laughed, hugging me back. After that, I jetted out of the house, ready to go ring shopping.

I was going to propose to Jade the night before I left for tour for the next two months. I had everything planned out, and all I needed was Ms. Kim's blessing. I was glad she had said 'yes', because I was going to propose to Jade on September 17th regardless.