11. Say Goodbye

October 11th, 2006
11:09 AM
MJ POV

"I never thought this was possible, but you may be a bigger perfectionist than me," Pops said, rubbing his face. I shook my head.

"Nah I don't think so." Pops looked at me in disbelief as Ne-Yo started laughing. Pops had brought in Ne-Yo to work with me a month earlier since we hadn't made much progress during the summer. Ne-Yo was fresh off the wave of his own debut album and had also been writing hits for other people such as Mario, so Pops thought he would've been a help to mine.

So far, he wasn't, but it wasn't his fault.

None of the songs he had offered, or I had written, or Mica had written, felt like debut album material. I needed to come out swinging.

"Man, MJ how do you want to release next year but you're not feeling ANY of the songs that we've worked on so far?" Ne-Yo laughed, chuckling a little.

"Next year is still a while away, it's not like I plan on releasing soon as January hits."

"Yeah, but you still have to promote the album before you release it, which means you need at least one single to release. You can't release an album with no warning," Pops stressed.

"Pops I know. But I also can't release a horrible song. And all the songs we've been working on are kind of mediocre."

"You really are my child," Pops mumbled, pinching the bridge of his nose and I smirked, standing up.

"For sure." The door to the studio opened up and in walked Austin, my cousin. He had also been helping out since he was trying to get into the music business too.

"Austin!!" Pops smiled. Austin smiled back.

"What's up Unc? MJ, Ne-Yo?" Austin dapped me & Ne-Yo up. "What yall working on?"

"Not a damn thing," Ne-Yo snickered. Austin looked at me.

"You still not feeling anything?" I nodded. He scoffed as he sat down on the couch. "At all? What about the songs your boy been bringing? Where he at anyway?"

"Class, Aus. You asked this every time," I said, laughing. Mica was attending the University of Southern California, majoring in Music Theory & Composition. He said it would help improve his skills as a performing musician. It better had because I was going to need him in the long run.

"I'm sorry, all the days blur together when I come to the studio and get nothing accomplished," Austin responded, giving me a look. I waved him off.

"Well, let's get something accomplished today, shall we?" I asked, giving him a fake smile.

"Let's."

Serenity POV
6:09 PM

Oh, put your freakum dress on
Oh, put your freakum dress onOh, every woman got one
Oh, shut it down when the time comes
Oh, pull out the big guns
Oh, and put your freakum dress on
All the ladies, you ain't these
All dressed up in your dresses
And your bestest with no reason
Get ready to freakum, freakum